London MTB Rides

j-boy
j-boy Posts: 3
edited April 2012 in Routes
I am a keen mountain biker, and just started racing again after the winter months. I live in south London so finding some good local routes is hard for me. After doing some races it is apparent that time off the trails have effected me and need to ride them more often. I can't drive either so getting to places like swinley is hard.

Does anyone know of any good places that can easily be got to from south London? I just need some place with some trails, even a small loop that I can try different techniques/riding styles.

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,538
    Where in South London are you and how far are you happy to ride to get to anything like a trail? TBH you'll have to get out of the London postcodes before there's much. There are a few trails in the woods in Beckenham Place Park not far from me but they're pretty tame.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • j-boy
    j-boy Posts: 3
    I am in Dulwich.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    j-boy wrote:
    I am in Dulwich.

well Beckenham Place Park sounds like your only close by thing.

From Dulwich you can get to Swinley or Surrey hills in 1hr 30min or so by train, realistically that far into london car isn't going to fare much better.
  • milko9000
    milko9000 Posts: 533
    You might also have some luck finding a lift if there's anyone from round that way comes along to the London Calling rides (not sure there is, I do it from Ealing in west London).

Is there a way to get you + bike to Epping Forest on the tube/overground?