just bought a frame for a winter/commute build

ianbar
ianbar Posts: 1,354
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
just bought a dolan frame for my winter/commute build. pretty new still to cycling but love the idea of building a bike, plus i will gain so much knowledge about how bikes work buy building it. the idea i was thinking was to replace parts off my caad with improved components etc and the one i take off move to the build bike.so next question i have a caad8 tiagra, what can i upgrade too? 105 or ultegra?.
enigma esprit
cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Cut out a few years of incremental upgrades & minor improvements and fit Di2.

Go on.
  • ianbar
    lol dont tempt me!
    enigma esprit
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    You can upgrade to virtually anything you like. If you're going to do the whole groupset, then Ribble are competitve. Just watch out for the type of bottom bracket needed and stuff like front derailleur band and seat post diameter. What about SRAM Rival or Force for a change or Ultegra Di2? Buying just shifters and a cassette will jump you up to 10 speed as your old derailleurs and chainset will work fine. I did something similar when I moved parts from my old bike to a new Trek 1.5 frameset for my winter bike. It was pretty straightforward, but you need a few tools and a work stand helps a lot. There's a half decent bike toolset on sale in Lidl from tomorrow for £25 that will go a long way to getting you started.
  • ianbar
    oh thank you for the lidl advice! i will swing by there tomorrow and have a look! i had heard i can change some parts like cassette and will work fine. i would like to change everything but probably in parts rather than one big job...mainly due too costs! i know very little and so changing to SRAM is even more scary lol
    enigma esprit
  • ianbar
    plus i think i have 10sp already?
    enigma esprit
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    If it's the lastest 2012 Tiagra (4600) then, yes it's 10 speed. BTW, the Park Tools website has a lot of good maintenance articles as does the Sheldon Brown site, Bicycle Tutor, and You Tube or buy a book maintenance like the Park Tools Blue Book or Zinn and the art of road bike maintenance.
  • ianbar
    i do look on youtube quite a lot! i think its more knowing what to change first etc that i could do with knowing i think i can find out how to do the tasks when i need to. i have looked at books recently will look at the park tools one.
    enigma esprit
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    decide what parts you want/need to upgrade first. Lighter wheels?

The problem may be when it comes to handlebars or saddles, if you go for something thats a better fit/ more comfortable than you have currently, do you really want the less comfortable one on the other bike?
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • ianbar
    i have very recently just got some magic aksium for my main bike so the other wheels will go on winter. yeah i see your point with saddles etc i thought that would be an easy one but actually yeah i see the point as i wouldn't want to use the lesser saddle so thats worth thinking about.i actually will need some forks for the frame as it doesn't come with any!
    enigma esprit