Standard or compact Chainset.

NITR8s
NITR8s Posts: 688
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
I currently have a standard chain set 53/39 with a 12/26 cassette, I was thinking of upgrading my chainset and I was thinking if it would be worth considering a compact. I live in Somerset, so I am constantly faced with hills and when on flats I am usually spinning on the 53 and about the middle of cassette. I rarely get into the 53/12 on downhills, if I do its for such a short time.

Comments

• slowondefy2
    slowondefy2 Posts: 348
    Good question! I don't think it's ever been discussed here before.

;)

How often do you end up using 39+26? Ever wish you had another gear to change down into? If so a compact may suit you better. For the majority of riders there's not much difference between 53+12 and 50+12 at the top end, except that you might spin out sooner on the descents - not something I'm concerned about, personally.

A compact has quite a jump between the rings, and it can be a bit of a pain changing up into the big ring. Changing between rings normally requires a change of 2-3 cogs at the back at the same time, for the same reason.
  • Slack
    Slack Posts: 326
    This subject has been done to death to be honest, suggest you use the search facility.

Having lived in Somerset, I beg to differ about being 'constantly faced with hills'! Much of Somerset is flat, unless you live in Minehead! I moved to Plymouth, which is a considerably hillier area. I regularly come up and ride in Somerset, and if you can spin easily on the flats on big ring/mid cassette, I do not believe you really need a compact.

That said, if you live Minehead way, then maybe a compact will make them Exmoor hills a little easier!
    Plymouthsteve for councillor!!
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,159
    get a compact

when it's time for a new cassette, get an 11-23 or 11-25
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • NITR8s
    I live in a village near wellington at the foot of blackdown hills and my cycling routes often range between the blackdown hills and Quantock hills(Minehead direction) In fact my village is on top of a hill.

I never use 39/26 as I feel all you do is spin and put down no power. Just wondering if having a 34 would mean I could go even lower down the cassestte when climbing to put out my power.
  • NITR8s
    sungod wrote:
    get a compact

Any advice/experince to back this statement up?
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    NITR8s wrote:
    sungod wrote:
    get a compact

I think you answered your own question in your original post :)

You already know what gears you are using, so just look at the ratios on:
    http://sheldonbrown.com/gears/
    .. and compare them. TBH, only YOU can really answer the question.
    Simon
  • sungod
    NITR8s wrote:
    sungod wrote:
    get a compact

for exhaustive discussion/explantion use the search function
  • NITR8s
    If everyone used the search function, there would be no point of a forum! As I bet most things have already been discussed.
  • sungod
    we get bored answering the same questions, we demand excitement, novelty, a bit of derring do

the last thread on the subject finally got flogged to death just last week...

viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12845520
  • TOM14S
    TOM14S Posts: 100
    edited April 2012
    NITR8s wrote:
    I never use 39/26 as I feel all you do is spin and put down no power. Just wondering if having a 34 would mean I could go even lower down the cassestte when climbing to put out my power.

Huh?
    Course you'll be able to go "lower down the cassette" but that will then give you a gear ratio comparable to what u currently ride up the hills in.
  • CRAIGO5000
    CRAIGO5000 Posts: 697
    I was in the OP's shoes not long ago with my standard double. That predicament was sparked by a ride with climbing 3500ft in 50 miles where I was hitting climbs of 17% that spiked to 22% in places. 39/25 and I was expending too much energy grinding in the lowest combo.

When commuting or generally riding the flats, I found I was never in the small ring and just used the low to middle of the cassette. Now with a 34/50 I can spin up steep hills, conserve energy and on the flats I'm keeping a much straighter chainline and using more of the 12-25 10-speed cassette range. I've not yet ran out of gears on the compact either.

Horses for courses I suppose but I prefer my compact to my double as I'm not a pro rider who can climb epic hills. I've not walked the bike up any yet though, and I don't plan on doing either ;)
    Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
    2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    NITR8s wrote:

i don't get this bit either. you are saying that 39/26 is too low a gear and you are over revving, but are considering getting an even smaller inner ring. this will take you further down the block, yes, but you can do that now with the set up you have. going further down the block will make for a more extreme chainline.

just try a closer ratio cassette, 11-23 or something.

However: having the lower gear you have now may make things easier on those days when you feel crap, or when you start going up longer or steeper hills.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • Slack
    Slack Posts: 326
    NITR8s wrote:
    I live in a village near wellington at the foot of blackdown hills and my cycling routes often range between the blackdown hills and Quantock hills(Minehead direction) In fact my village is on top of a hill.

Sounds like there is absolutely no point in you changing over to a compact, as all you will gain is 1-2 extra lower gears. You'll still spin out.

I work in Wellington and ride a 39x27 in the area, which seems just about right to me. If you're finding 39x26 too low, perhaps you ought to give Crowcombe hill a go - I'd be surprised and mighty impressed if you still feel you're putting out enough 'power'.
    Plymouthsteve for councillor!!
  • NITR8s
    Slack wrote:
    NITR8s wrote:

Sounds like there is absolutely no point in you changing over to a compact, as all you will gain is 1-2 extra lower gears. You'll still spin out.

I work in Wellington and ride a 39x27 in the area, which seems just about right to me. If you're finding 39x26 too low, perhaps you ought to give Crowcombe hill a go - I'd be surprised and mighty impressed if you still feel you're putting out enough 'power'.

You know I am gonna have to do Crowcombe hill now, thanks for that. Im gonna stick to my standard, i think the real reason im asking the question is that I am trying to find excuses to give my wife to upgrade my bike.

If you live local are you doing the Exmoor beauty are sunday?