Do certain bikes give off a certain vibe?

Comments

• Yukirin
    Yukirin Posts: 231
    of course, its all brand image and marketing. Personally, if I ever got an off the shelf bike I'd de-sticker it. My first concern is theft!
    Secondly, I dont generally like the graphics on most bikes, I'd rather keep it minimal - a nice block coloured frame with contrasting hardware.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I completely get what the OP is saying. On a purely superficial level brand tells an assumed story. Scratch past the surface and I'm sure there are any number of plausible well thought out reasons for owning a particular bike, but superficially some bikes are just a faux pas.

If we are being brutal then:

Specialized = Mondeo Man. Yes that includes the Venge. What owning a Venge says about YOU is this. "You could afford a Pagani Zonda and you bought a Ford."

I'll right more assumptions when I'm in a little bit more in an uppity mood.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    DonDaddyD wrote:

You mean "write" not "right". That should get you in an uppity mood!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,333
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

You're going in the book

viewtopic.php?f=40033&t=12846685
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Someone called me a pendant once. I told him I wasn't a swinger.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

You're going in the book

viewtopic.php?f=40033&t=12846685

I hadn't seen that thread. Thanks for bringing to my attention.
    I get the feeling that DDD is a new man since ddd was born. Much quicker to take offence and whinge about things that wasn't a problem for most of the other people on the forum. Maybe becoming a father has increased his oestrogen levels so that he can bond better with ddd? If this was the norm, no father would be a soldier as they would be too busy at home trying to breast feed the little'uns.
    Thats enough of that.

I think its obvious that I think DDD was wrong in that thread and was overly sensitive about the "Girls In..." threads.

Back on topic. If certain bikes do give off a certain vibe, I'm not getting a Kuota.

• woodnut
    woodnut Posts: 562
    Cannondale- make me think of psychedelic trance, magic mushrooms and dreadlocks. I dunno why.

BTW I like cannondales, my next MTB may be one
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Look = all round cycling hero.

I thank you 8)

As for bikes I don't own, stuff like Specialized, Giant, Trek, Scott etc tend to make me think of Fords. Generally good but a bit of an imagination vacuum.

Anything a bit unusual I will gain pleasure from seeing even if it isn't really my thing. There is however, one brand that stands out for me.

I recently spent some time in Bicicielo in Birmingham (buying a very nice Kask Mojito lid) - if you don't know the shop, it is full of Pinarellos and the odd Opera. They do nothing for me whatsoever. It doesn't matter what groupset you put on them, what colour they are or what model they are they leave me stone cold. I have zero desire for them. I know they make some good bikes but I see no soul or charm in them at all.

Period quality steel is inherently classy!

Alloy frames are vibeless :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,980
    gtvlusso wrote:
    I my really weird mind;

Specialized bikes: don't know enough about bikes to realise that they are hideous. Matt green is cool though, isn't it?
    Giant Bikes: Understatedly good, but its not clear exactly why
    Trek Bikes: That's what the local shop had. Lance rode one. Not this one, but it was the same colour. Sort of.
    Surly Bikes: British Leyland. No, wait, that's Dawes.
    Fixie Inc: Neo Nazi
    Raleigh: Its sunny today, so I'll ride to work.
    Boardman: Mondeoman.

Not really sure what I am trying to get across....Just when I see certain brands, I immediately have a stereotyped and probably factually incorrect view - maybe this is induced by graphics or branding...I don't know, does anyone else get a certain vibe from certain brands?
    There you go.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Dawes - Austin Ambassador
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    What about people who ride Felt's?

Moreso people who own more then 1 Felt bike?

They are cool right? ... right?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    BMC - king of off the shelf bikes. If I were to buy a full price bike, it would be BMC. Love them and the slightly random shape. Certainly haven't a bad thing to say about Evans, either.

For most other bikes, I like rarer ones, downtube shifters, naked carbon or unstickered chrome. Any anything old travelling perilously fast.

And Coppis, when I see them, of course.
  • DonDaddyD
    Steel frame single speed made in the past 10 years: Skinny jean hipster who rides a bike as part of their fashion statement.

1980s rebuilt Raleigh (and other steel frames): Old man's bike OR the type of person who enjoys making things as a hobby.

Hybrid: Someone who suffers backache or someone who has simply not learned the virtues of a drop bar road bike.

Camera on the helmet: Disgruntled cyclist who probably campaigns against motorists.

Bianchi and random/obscure fames with Italian names: A person who clearly likes sex.

Thanks Eke, you gave me motivation.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • EKE_38BPM
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    1980s rebuilt Raleigh:the type of person who enjoys making things as a hobby. A person who clearly likes sex.

Thanks EKE, you gave me motivation.
    You nailed it.
    You're welcome.

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    im possibly thinking of getting a Kuota or a Willier

will i get judged as if i ride any of them? will young kids point an laugh at me?

im worried now
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Yukirin
    Yukirin Posts: 231
    mudcow007 wrote:

will i get judged as if i ride any of them? will young kids point an laugh at me?

im worried now

graphics off and no more worry! And the bike will ride just the same.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Kuotas throw me a bit - an Italian bike that's trying to sound like it's Japanese...... :?

The only Italian bike that it is acceptable to put Shimano on and that, in itself, shows that there is something terribly wrong!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    woodnut wrote:
    Cannondale- make me think of psychedelic trance, magic mushrooms and dreadlocks. I dunno why.

I'll take that, particularly as I'm follicly challenged these days...
    FCN 3 / 4
  • DonDaddyD
    Campag: Person who focuses more on aesthetics and form over function.

Shimano: A person who enjoys fuctionality over form.

SRAM: A person who has to have the "alternative" choice.
    mudcow wrote:

MMmmm the 2012 Izoard is not the 2008 Izoard. I'd go as far to say that the current Izoard with its branded willier brakes and cranks looks a little gimmicky/trying to hard. I'd also have to question how they can fit so much kit (ultegra or example) on that bike at such a comparatively low price, £2199, compared to others. The 2008 Izoard with Ultegra was shifting for £2499 (that was towards the end of the boom, pre recession and inflation). Personally I think the Gran Turismo is the bike that replaced the old Izoard and the new Izoard is the bike that replaced the Mortirolo (which was the model down from the 2008 Izoard).

The Kuota Kharma is a superb bike. But it's a little long in the tooth now and is probably due to be replaced (along with the Kebel) and I think some places are asking for too much money. That in mind if I'm spending around £2500 I'd probably fork out for the Kebel. That said if you're spending a sizable amount try and look at for the KOM frames. They have replaced the model and so those frames may be going cheap.
    Food Chain number = 4

• EKE_38BPM
    DonDaddyD wrote:

What about a fixie rider with a Campag chainset & BB, Shimano pedals and a Miche sprocket? Sexgod, right?

• DonDaddyD
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

What about a fixie rider with a Campag chainset & BB, Shimano pedals and a Miche sprocket? Sexgod, right?
    Tranny.
    Food Chain number = 4

• EKE_38BPM
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Tranny.
    Tranny, short for transmission, as in drivetrain.
    Drivetrain god. I'll take that.

• bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Miche stuff is just awful. The alloy chainset I had sheared at the bolts. The chain / cassette that came on my Viner have never run smoothly - they were swiftly mothballed but then recently moved onto my winter bike as I had upgraded to 10 speed. The cassette has since been popping teeth like nobody's business - utter sh1te, might as well be made of cheese.
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    The point of building a brand is to associate the company with a set of values and a perception in the minds of the consumer. It's what marketing people get paid for because it means that they can charge more money or stand out from competitors (that do virtually the same thing).

Lots of people kid themselves that they are immune to it, but ask them a couple of questions about why they bought a brand of car/bike/phone and they can't justify it rationally.
  • EKE_38BPM
    BigMat wrote:
    Miche stuff is just awful. The alloy chainset I had sheared at the bolts. The chain / cassette that came on my Viner have never run smoothly - they were swiftly mothballed but then recently moved onto my winter bike as I had upgraded to 10 speed. The cassette has since been popping teeth like nobody's business - utter sh1te, might as well be made of cheese.
    The only Miche component on my fixie is the track sprocket and that was recommended to my by CP as it comes in two pieces. A carrier which screws onto the hub and the sprocket which mounts onto the carrier and then the lockring which screws onto the hub as normal. I know that seems like three pieces, but the lockring is a standard component on any fixie and isn't a Miche component.

The advantage of this set-up (using a carrier) is that if when you want to remove the sprocket, you just remove the lockring as normal and the sprocket comes off easily rather than having to use a chainwhip.
    No problems with excessive wear so far.
    tcog-miche2.jpg
    The carrier is at the top of the image, the bottom two are the sprockets and shows the splines that mate to the carrier. Good system.

• EKE_38BPM
    davmaggs wrote:
    The point of building a brand is to associate the company with a set of values and a perception in the minds of the consumer. It's what marketing people get paid for because it means that they can charge more money or stand out from competitors (that do virtually the same thing).

Lots of people kid themselves that they are immune to it, but ask them a couple of questions about why they bought a brand of car/bike/phone and they can't justify it rationally.

I agree with what you say for the reasons for branding, but I've built my bike up from components which do what I want it to, regardless of brand. Hence, Campag chainset and BB, Shimano M324 pedals (SPD on one side, platform on the other), Miche sprocket for the reasons in my previous post, Selle Italia Gel Flow Flite saddle, handbuilt rearwheel (with reflective spokestraws), Aksium front wheel (with reflective stickers on the rim due to bladed spokes), Gatorskin tyres etc.

I still want to upgrade some things, but who here has completely finished their bikes?

• bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    BigMat wrote:
    The only Miche component on my fixie is the track sprocket and that was recommended to my by CP as it comes in two pieces. A carrier which screws onto the hub and the sprocket which mounts onto the carrier and then the lockring which screws onto the hub as normal. I know that seems like three pieces, but the lockring is a standard component on any fixie and isn't a Miche component.

The advantage of this set-up (using a carrier) is that if when you want to remove the sprocket, you just remove the lockring as normal and the sprocket comes off easily rather than having to use a chainwhip.
    tcog-miche2.jpg
    The carrier is at the top of the image, the bottom two are the sprockets and shows the splines that mate to the carrier. Good system.

The FGSS thing is perhaps what they are good at, i would avoid like the plague for geared bikes though.
  • EKE_38BPM
    BigMat wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    BigMat wrote:

tcog-miche2.jpg

The FGSS thing is perhaps what they are good at, i would avoid like the plague for geared bikes though.

Experience and opinion noted.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,357
    BigMat wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    BigMat wrote:

tcog-miche2.jpg

Having said that, CP seems to get through hubs and BBs at a fair rate.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Rolf F wrote:
    Kuotas throw me a bit - an Italian bike that's trying to sound like it's Japanese...... :?

The only Italian bike that it is acceptable to put Shimano on and that, in itself, shows that there is something terribly wrong!

Every time I pass someone on a Kuota, they always seem to be a little overweight, badly out of breath and in the wrong gear. Perhaps that's just the ones I see, though.

Scott bike owners seem to be pretty speedy, in my experience - certainly for the mass-brand riders.