Whyte bikes

chally3
chally3 Posts: 7
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
Good afternoon all,

I've been toying with a hardtail and quite like the look of the Whyte 805 which suits my budget.
I just wandered if anyone has a Whyte bike, what their thoughts are etc of their bikes/how do they ride/are they happy etc

I know I can probably get a better spec Cube/Boardman,but I dont really like them bikes to look at(unfortunatly you have to have a bike you like,not just the best spec) its through the cycle2work schemes & I'm not paying full price for the bike, so am happy to upgrade if I need be.

I'm also contemplating a Scott Scale Comp 29er or the Ghost HTX 29 Actinum 7000.

Ive had plenty of old & new Specialized,Kona's,Grisely,Muddy Foxes(when they were good!!) from way back & fancied a change.

any comments good or bad more than welcome, thank you

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    unfortunatly you have to have a bike you like,not just the best spec

Indeed: try and test them if you can. The Whyte is ok, but I'd expect a better fork for the price. The Rebas and recons are far better.
  • dry664
    dry664 Posts: 155
    supersonic wrote:
    unfortunatly you have to have a bike you like,not just the best spec

Indeed: try and test them if you can. The Whyte is ok, but I'd expect a better fork for the price. The Rebas and recons are far better.

+1

I just got back into riding after a long time away. Got a Whyte 801 after trying a few bikes and although I love it, I have spent quite a bit to get it where im really happy with how it rides. First thing I did (aside from changing contact points to personal taste) was to get a good fork as the standard RS XC weighs something like 2.3kg. A reba weighs about 700grams less which is a hell of a lot of extra weight in the front end.
    If I knew then what I know now I would have found the extra £400 and got an 809 or 901 as you dont get much spec at the bottom of Whytes range.
  • chally3
    chally3 Posts: 7
    thanks for the info, I my pay te extra & go for an 809 :)