Better onroad gearing

John7474
John7474 Posts: 4
edited April 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello all im seeking some advice , i have a Saracen trace 1 that im looking to change the gearing on to something a little more suited for onroad. I have agreed to do a 150 mile charity ride later in the year to raise funds for a childrens ward where a work mates little one is being treated long term. Finding when im joining in with training rides im getting left behind on the down hills and flats by those on hybrid bikes with bigger crank gears from what i can see.

My bike is fitted with - Crankset: Truvativ X-Flow 3.0 42/34/24 175mm crank with guard
What crank sets will fit and what teeth count should i be looking for ? ( guessing 48/38/28 )
What tools will be needed to change them over ?
Would i need a slightly longer chain ?

As this is for a charity ride and im skint i dont really want to spend to much maybe £50-60 max.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Comments

• styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    I dont think the gears will help. Spinning a 42/11 at 90rpm is somewhere around 30mph I think, so plenty quick enough. What tyres do you have on it?
  • John7474
    John7474 Posts: 4
    Tyres are 2.2 but these are getting replaced next pay day with some road tyres.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Just put narrower slicks on and maybe some bar ends. The gears are very unlikely to be the problem.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."