Ebay Israel Sellers

waughie
waughie Posts: 180
edited May 2012 in MTB general
Has anyone used the sellers from Israel on ebay?

They have some Fox forks for very reasonable prices, just wondering if anyone has any experiences good or bad?

Example:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fox-32-K-Tala ... 4ab6664b92

Comments

• waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    Have they not got any ebay feedback?

If not I wouldn't touch them
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • ThanksBye
    ThanksBye Posts: 519
    They have ebay feedback, and you would be protected by Paypal, only problem would be if there was any warranty issues.

They are currently 599 at merlin, with the 10% offer that gets them to 540, would arrive this week with full uk Warranty
    Cotic Soul
    Pearson Hanzo
    Airborne Zeppelin
  • waughie
    The issue with thoe ones on Merlin is they are tapered steerer. I need 1 1/8" as my frame won't take a tapered fork, or I would have them!
  • ThanksBye
    ThanksBye Posts: 519
    The ones on ebay are tapered to...
    Cotic Soul
    Pearson Hanzo
    Airborne Zeppelin
  • rebel_brown
    rebel_brown Posts: 126
    As above, the eBay ones are tapered as well. I wouldn't risk it anyway, if you get stung by customs it's likely the charges will outweigh the money you save by importing them. For the sake of £40 I'd just buy them in the UK.
  • waughie
    Ah! I only used them as an example of the prices!

I'm after a set of 32 Talas RLC 1-1/8"!
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    I get mech hangers from a seller in Israel, go on feedback not location.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Great deal but if they go wrong?
    seller is genuine loads of positive feedback and for some expensive items, neutral and negative as well but I wouldn't let that put you off just make sure its the correct fork in stock.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    Do the forks not have any kind of UK warranty?

If they did go wrong and were in warranty then surely this would be with the manufacturer, not the seller? If they arrived and were faulty then that would be the sellers issue but if they developed a fault 6 months down the line...?
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Your warranty is with the seller.
  • qooqiiu
    qooqiiu Posts: 212
    styxd wrote:
    Your warranty is with the seller.

That is correct.

I would worry more about potential Import tax issues.

Not only would you be looking at the VAT on top but also the couriers "handling fee" on top of that. This is usually a problem with foreign couriers like DHL & FEDX etc... If you could get them to ship with Royal mail doing the end leg then the chances are you would just get it delivered and not have a threatening letter arrive 2 weeks after from DHL & FEDX etc... demanding the import tax.
  • chazkayak
    chazkayak Posts: 193
    Ive posted loadsa things from Germany to UK and never had anybody complain about paying import tax, yeah they were all secondhand, do companies post things differently?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    chazkayak wrote:
    Ive posted loadsa things from Germany to UK and never had anybody complain about paying import tax, yeah they were all secondhand, do companies post things differently?
    And that is because you are in the EU.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • chazkayak
    Im also very thick!!!!!
  • gezebo
    gezebo Posts: 364
    In terms of warranty whenever I've got things off eBay etc I've just sent them back to the manufacturer/distributor and they've sorted it no problem. I've done this lots of times, it may not be technically correct but with a clear defect they are usually very helpful.

It's probably a balance between cost, likelyhood of being faulty, manufacturer/distributor location and how easy a product is to repair. That's something that you have to balance when you purchase an item...
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    gezebo wrote:
    In terms of warranty whenever I've got things off eBay etc I've just sent them back to the manufacturer/distributor and they've sorted it no problem. I've done this lots of times, it may not be technically correct but with a clear defect they are usually very helpful.

It's probably a balance between cost, likelyhood of being faulty, manufacturer/distributor location and how easy a product is to repair. That's something that you have to balance when you purchase an item...
    And many makers/distributors can retun Tito you to send back to the seller.

But sometimes it does show up the fakes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Supersonic put an article together with some help in the mtb sales section about used goods and warranties. It is mostly correct.

The ability to transfer warranty between consumer is really down to the wording of the warranty. You shouldn't assume that you have a manufacturers warranty. In addition the warranty may only cover returns via authorised distributors and retailers, who will have no obligation to help you.

In other words the manufacturer may give you a transferable warranty by implication.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    nicklouse wrote:
    chazkayak wrote:
    but israel are part of europe otherwise how do they take part in the eurovision song contest and the champions league etc, they must have moved from the middle east and not told anyone :lol:
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    chez_m356 wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    chazkayak wrote:
    but israel are part of europe otherwise how do they take part in the eurovision song contest and the champions league etc, they must have moved from the middle east and not told anyone :lol:

Please be joking.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    chez_m356 wrote:
    They're also the 51st state of America (or is that 52nd, as we're the 51st).

Anyway, warranties are with the seller under UK law in the first instance but failing them you usually can go to the manufacturer direct, and you also have statutory rights. But imports from outside of the UK are another matter. Not sure about EU laws and if they are the same as UK. Outside the EU though, warranties are honoured in your own country by the manufacturer/distributor at their discretion. Some just won't touch them, some might if you pester them, some have stated international warranties.

But it can vary on the actual item. e.g. (okay this isn't bikes) - camera lenses are often international warranty and you can get them serviced anywhere in the world, but cameras sometimes aren't, even if they're the same manufacturer.

If there's local distribution and the manufacturer doesn't like grey imports, then they might not honour foreign warranties. Many seem to think that grey imports should be illegal. It isn't, but manufacturers like to act as if they are. Inside the EU however it's illegal to block them within the EU, so could be they have no choice but to honour warranties from another EU country.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    chez_m356 wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    chazkayak wrote:

Please be joking.
    i thought this :lol: would have given you the answer to that question, and just in case it still isn't obvious, yes, i was joking
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    deadkenny wrote:
    chez_m356 wrote:
    They're also the 51st state of America (or is that 52nd, as we're the 51st).

Anyway, warranties are with the seller under UK law in the first instance but failing them you usually can go to the manufacturer direct, and you also have statutory rights. But imports from outside of the UK are another matter...
    But it can vary on the actual item. e.g. (okay this isn't bikes) - camera lenses are often international warranty and you can get them serviced anywhere in the world, but cameras sometimes aren't, even if they're the same manufacturer.

Many seem to think that grey imports should be illegal. It isn't, but manufacturers like to act as if they are. Inside the EU however it's illegal to block them within the EU, so could be they have no choice but to honour warranties from another EU country.

Warranty is as per the warranty terms, its a business to business contract with the retailer intended to give the retailer recourse for claims made by consumer. The retailer may choose to replicate the manufacturers warranty and the manufacturer is free to dictate any terms they like to the retailer. Only the retailer is governed by statutory rights. So the manufacturer may say "here is your world wide life-time warranty on everything" and also state that "you must return the item to the authorised dealer who you purchased it from". Which will get them nicely out of any claims made by buyers through unautherised channels.

Camera lenses are something else, don't get me started on those. I just spent £2K on some "glass" for mrs diy at Christmas and now she is asking for another £2.5k for additional lenses. I don't understand why people buy this stuff on ebay at almost new prices when they have not warranty whatsoever. There are as much electronics inside as there are your avg smartphone.
  • waughie
    Warranty discussions are great... But I really wanted to know if anyone had bought anything from them!

Although all input is gratefully received so thanks to all that have contributed, whether about seller reliability or otherwise!
  • Anonymous
    Lol, sorry, a little off topic :). In short though, no I haven't used them.

Anyway as said, import duty and VAT plus the handling fees is what you need to seriously consider.

Not sure what the duty rate would be, you'd have to check with HMRC to see what it is for that kind of bike component as the rates vary. Duty applies though as the value is over £135. VAT will be 20% of course, as well as a huge rip off handling fee for the courier or postie doing virtually crap all work to take the money.

As it's "Expedited" shipping, it will likely come into the UK via courier and they can charge £10 to £20 in fees. Plain Royal Mail via the postie is £8 I think, but you stand a chance of getting away without paying with RM as they don't hit every parcel. Couriers usually hit the lot as standard. Some bill you later, so you can get the thing and then get a bill a month later.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    I bought a pair of Shimano AM41 shoes form that seller.I pulled the trigger before reading where the seller was :roll: Delivery time was 10-20 days,they arrived in 6 days with Israeli post-marks all over the package and I paid no duty 8)
    Win all round 8)
  • chazkayak
    I bought a reverb seatpost from him just over a week ago, im tracking the parcel and its now in Germany so hope to get it in the next few days. If I get it next week I will be chuffed to bits.
  • waughie
    Cool... let me know if there are any issues or extra costs when it turns up!
  • chazkayak
    waughie wrote:
    Cool... let me know if there are any issues or extra costs when it turns up!

Will do , but bear in mind its coming to Germany, and we can get tax off goods so I may be able to pull a trump card!!
  • Anonymous
    Ah, could be the old trick some of the big online retailers used to use many years ago importing from outside EU, import via a distribution point in Germany and end customer gets no customs charges into UK. HMRC stamped that out. ;)
  • chazkayak
    :wink: