Amazing what trivia you pick up watching daytime TV!

PBo
PBo Posts: 2,493
edited April 2012 in Commuting chat
Lord Nelson lived in a ménage a trois! (watching bargain hunt is a guilty pleasure of mine....)

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    PBo wrote:
    Lord Nelson lived in a ménage a trois! (watching bargain hunt is a guilty pleasure of mine....)
    The good kind?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • PBo
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    PBo wrote:
    The good kind?
    No...he shared an ex prostitute with another bloke....
  • EKE_38BPM
    PBo wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    PBo wrote:
    The good kind?
    No...he shared an ex prostitute with another bloke....
    Not cool.

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Plastic Bertrand was a fraud and did not sing "Ca plane pour moi"

The canary islands were named for the dogs there, there are no canaries on the canary islands.

Barnacles have the longest penises relative to their bodies in the animal kingdom, and my daughter's bearded dragon has two willies (much like an earwig does) so that there is a spare in case one gets snapped off.

Next!
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    And over 50s can get life cover for just £4 a month.
  • PBo
    SimonAH wrote:

The canary islands were named for the dogs there, there are no canaries on the canary islands.

Barnacles have the longest penises relative to their bodies in the animal kingdom, and my daughter's bearded dragon has two willies (much like an earwig does) so that there is a spare in case one gets snapped off.

Next!
    Jesus....I never knew earwigs and bearded dragons had such dangerous sex lives.

I obviously missed those editions of bargain hunt
    "so how much will that fetch at auction?"
    "well tim, we've put on a guide price of £40."
    "well the contestants will be happy, as they only paid £20 -which is only a tenner a penis after all...."
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,357
    edited April 2012
    SimonAH wrote:

Next!

Barnacle geese are so called because people originally believed that they hatched from barnacles - the reason being that they actually breed in Greenland, Svalbard and Novaya Zemlya; nobody saw them lay eggs so they assumed that barnacles must be the eggs. EDIT: Almost, I've got the first bit back to front: barnacles are named after barnacle geese
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • PBo

There are no dogs on the isle of dogs, only canaries. Apart from canary wharf, where there are no canaries, only dogs....
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    SimonAH wrote:
    Plastic Bertrand was a fraud and did not sing "Ca plane pour moi"[...]

Awwww man! I'll be sad all afternoon now; another idol smashed. And yet he was Luxembourg's entry in Eurovision in the late Eighties.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    PBo wrote:

There are no dogs on the isle of dogs, only canaries. Apart from canary wharf, where there are no canaries, only dogs....
    What about the Isle of Man?
  • PBo
    No men there, not even one called Douglas....
  • kelsen wrote:
    PBo wrote:

What about the Isle of Man?

The cats don't have tails...
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    It's not the best one day race on the calendar, but Fleche Wallone is on Eurosport. That has to be better than "Gash in the Attic".
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Ben6899 wrote:
    It's not the best one day race on the calendar, but Fleche Wallone is on Eurosport. That has to be better than "Gash in the Attic".

I was mocking a chap yesterday who took an afternoon off a while back to watch it live.

Andy Schleck's gone into the attack for no apparent reason mind.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Darn it, I forgot it was on :(
  • EKE_38BPM
    PBo wrote:

A former king, Henry VIII I think, used to exercise his dogs there and that is apparently how it got its name.
    Spital Fields is a contraction of Hospital Fields and was the cemetery for a hospital in the area. I think it may have been a plague pit.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Spital Fields is a contraction of Hospital Fields and was the cemetery for a hospital in the area. I think it may have been a plague pit.

Correct.