Disc Brake Issues?

sc1858
sc1858 Posts: 25
edited April 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
i have just got my bike back from the LBS after a service (wanted it sorting properly, and my maintenance skills are a tad dodgy..) and the brakes seem much worse then they were previously, they barely stop and the levers need a lot of force to make them stop.
they have been bled, is it the case that they take some time to start working properly, once they have been bled?

any ideas?
cheers

Comments

• 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Try pulling the levers a few times as the pistons may have been pushed back into the caliper.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • sc1858
    1mancity2 wrote:
    Try pulling the levers a few times as the pistons may have been pushed back into the caliper.

thanks for that, i shall give it a go later
    dam work getting in the way of my life...
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Might just need new pads bedding in if they replaced those as well.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • sc1858
    pads weren't replaced,
    i have just loosened the bolts on the caliper and re tightened after pulling the levers a few time, and it has made some difference, not sure that much until i take it out tomorrow.

i'll report back tomorrow or the brakes will fail and i will faceplant a pedestrian..
  • al2098
    al2098 Posts: 174
    What brakes are they?
    Does the lever feel firm?
    Front same as rear?
    Some brakes are a mug to service and can be done wrong..
    If the lever is spongy its a poor job.
    If the lever is sound and one end is better than the other then maybe a disc is contaminated.
    Other than that, break them in. Even with new pads they should be fairly good at stopping you.
  • al2098
    al2098 Posts: 174
    pads weren't replaced,
    Sorry just noticed that.
    My moneys on contamination with brake fluid on a disc by a hung-over mechanic. :oops:
  • sc1858
    al2098 wrote:
    What brakes are they?
    Does the lever feel firm?
    Front same as rear?
    Some brakes are a mug to service and can be done wrong..
    If the lever is spongy its a poor job.
    If the lever is sound and one end is better than the other then maybe a disc is contaminated.
    Other than that, break them in. Even with new pads they should be fairly good at stopping you.

thanks for that, i am inclined to agree with you, i rode it this morning, was a little better but the levers are really spongy (nearly touching the bar), so i think it was a poor job.
    Shall be making a phone call later on.
    thanks for that everyone!