700c Rims

skolsuper
skolsuper Posts: 27
edited July 2012 in Commuting general
Hi all. Been lurking on here for a while. Just building up a commuter bike. Looking for a set of 700c rims. any advice would be appreciated. Using them mainly on the road but some time on the trail. So light, Strong and cheap, The usual.
Thanks for your help

Comments

• antikythera
    antikythera Posts: 326
    Strong, Light and Cheap.... pick two! :?
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Mavic Open Pro
    Velocity A23
    Ambrosio Excellight

All will be fine and fit all 3 criteria of strong, light and cheap. Just make sure you get them built proper!
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Open Pro or CXP 33's for me !
  • jonnyboy77
    jonnyboy77 Posts: 547
    I picked up some On-One 29er wheels last year, they are Mach 1 rims on Shimano 6 bolt disc hubs and only cost £90 for the pair. They can only run a minimum of 700x28c tyres, but that's fine for my hybrid.
    Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    went for mavic open sport on my commuter, rims last well and seem to take a bit of a beating.

Wheelset is 1900 g built on 105/tiagra hubs though so not light.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • skolsuper
    Thanks for the help. The Mavic open sport seem to have great reviews.
    Trying to find some more info on the Mach 1, They are cheap and look great. All the best
  • Poacher
    Poacher Posts: 165
    Don't need to be particularly light if you're building up a commuter bike! What about Rigida Chrina?
    I've built wheels with these for my commuter (and one or two other bikes), and found them to be strong, durable and reasonably light, and take tyres from ~20 to 28mm - I'm currently running 28mm Marathons, but they're still pretty nippy!
    Ceps, morelles, trompettes de mort. Breakfast of champignons.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    IRD Cadence / Cadence VSR. ~£40 per rim.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Poacher
    RD Cadence / Cadence VSR. ~£40 per rim? Pffffft! Chrina < £20 per rim!!! Try 'em!
  • desweller
    Poacher wrote:
    RD Cadence / Cadence VSR. ~£40 per rim? Pffffft! Chrina < £20 per rim!!! Try 'em!

They weigh a million tons! A MILLION TONS!!!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Poacher
    Errr, 510 grams=a million tons? Unless I completely mis-read the original requirement, Skolsuper is building a commuter bike. A COMMUTER BIKE!!!!
    IRD Cadence VSR Road 390 grams, OK, I realise you're joking!
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,176
    Jesus just talked to me... and said:

"Order a set of Ambrosio Evolution 32H from Total cycling and I'll see you in ten years time for a replacement"
    left the forum March 2023
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    DesWeller wrote:
    Poacher wrote:

They weigh a million tons! A MILLION TONS!!!

Sorry - I'd trust to Spa Cycles recommendation before yours on this one :lol:

Chrinas are fine. Mind you, despite being strong and carrying 36 spokes on mine, I still wrecked two rims on one pothole this year. But, it only cost £36 for the replacement rims.

Looks like you're paying about £44 extra for 240 grams saved. For a commuter that looks like a pretty extravagent choice.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • desweller
    Sputniks on the commuter for ultimate indestructibility innit. The world will pass into the heat death of the universe before I wear those out or damage them on some puny pothole.

The OP said he wanted light though.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    What's with the 'it's a commuter so use heavy stuff' comments?

Many people do long commutes and spend more bike time commuting than doing anything else, why not have something half decent?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • desweller
    In my case, the definition of commuter is a little vague. I have two bikes that qualify as commuters.

One is the heavy touring bike, front and rear pannier racks, bar bag, butterfly bars etc etc.

The other is my carbon bicycle, but that's my toy bike too so it gets all the goodies so I can have fun when I take the long way home.

To me the OP's bike sounds like it fits more into the second category than the first!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    The CXP 33s, Ambrosios, or Open Pros have all done well for me.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • skolsuper
    Forgive me guys. Should have said its a 'hybrid' (Boardman). Thanks for all the suggestions.
    In the end i ordered Mavic A119. Didn't see any bad reviews about them. So when i build em,
    I Will report back. The Mavic XM117's i had on my mountain bike were bullet proof and cheap.
    So we will see. All the best.
  • Poacher
    No probs, Skolsuper. The wide tyres you'll need will weigh a million tons! A MILLION TONS!!!
    But seriously, they'll make a fine pair of wheels, and should be pretty durable. Good choice.
    Let us know how you get on - I don't drop into this forum often as I spend more time "in another place" as they say in the House, but I'll pop in from time to time and look for your post.
  • skolsuper
    Ok guys. After 2 months of abuse, Rim's have been brilliant.
    9sh4dl.jpg
    I could only true them to about 1mm tolerance, Using the cable tie method.
    but they are as true as the first day i built them.
    Nice cheap strong rim from Mavic