Music via wi-fi

essex-commuter
essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
edited April 2012 in Commuting chat
I'm not an audiophile.

I have all my music in iTunes (hate iTunes but it does the job).
I want to listen to my iTunes library wirelessly in the house. I might want a couple of units eventually but am happy to move one around to be honest (i.e. into the garage when on the turbo).

Is Sonos the best value for money?
Is there anything cheaper but as good?
Is there one that works direct from iTunes (I understand Sonos reequires their own software?)

Does anyone have any experience of these things? Advice greatfully received!

Ta.

Comments

• spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    buy some network attached storage (a nas).

get a tablet pc. and some external speakers.

done.
  • jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    I've a couple of Squeezeboxes which are superb. They also do a Squeezebox radio which is portable.
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Sonos will pick up your music from your iTunes library. Easy to set-up. Not the cheapest, but it is very good. Heard good things about Squeezeboxes. Lots of other options out there. John Lewis is quite good for playing with the kit if you have a branch near you.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MB321 ... s#overview

Set it up as a client to your WiFi, attach some speakers and you have perfect iTunes integration.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    I'd say Sonos is not cheap, but probably the least fuss.
    If you have powered speakers (radio with aux-in / mini hi-fi) and an iPod touch/iPhone/iPad, then a cheap route is getting an Apple Airport Express, to which you can stream music, using the iDevice as a controller. This is my set-up and matches my needs.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    I have a NAS box (Buffallo Terastation Live) which is hacked and is running Twonky that streams all my music on my home network using DNLA. I then have MediaConnect on my iPad which can connect play and download music from the NAS onto the iPAD. MediaConnect is also a DNLA server in it's own right and can stream the content on the iPAD via DNLA back to other players in the house such as my PS3.

I also have TVersity on my PC which is another DNLA server I can use to stream content to the PS3 or iPAD which is useful for some video formats stored on the NAS which require rendering as the NAS box's processor is not up to the job.

Not sure any of this help you but it works well for me. Also means tha I do not have to use iTunes on the iPAD or have it installed on my PC. I can also get content brought via iTunes off the iPAD using MediaConnect and onto the NAS.

It would be much easier with an Adroid tab though.....

Works well for me.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Jeepie wrote:
    I've a couple of Squeezeboxes which are superb. They also do a Squeezebox radio which is portable.

I've gone down the Squeezebox route. Quite a bit cheaper than Sonos. It's not perfect, but works. Sound quality very good.
    exercise.png
  • essex-commuter
    http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MB321B/A/AirPort-Express-AirTunes#overview

Set it up as a client to your WiFi, attach some speakers and you have perfect iTunes integration.

I like. .....off to read reviews!........
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Really want to understand this stuff, but for me it is like trying to dicipher Ancient Greek :?
  • spasypaddy
    Sketchley wrote:
    I have a NAS box (Buffallo Terastation Live) which is hacked and is running Twonky that streams all my music on my home network using DNLA. I then have MediaConnect on my iPad which can connect play and download music from the NAS onto the iPAD. MediaConnect is also a DNLA server in it's own right and can stream the content on the iPAD via DNLA back to other players in the house such as my PS3.

I also have TVersity on my PC which is another DNLA server I can use to stream content to the PS3 or iPAD which is useful for some video formats stored on the NAS which require rendering as the NAS box's processor is not up to the job.

Not sure any of this help you but it works well for me. Also means tha I do not have to use iTunes on the iPAD or have it installed on my PC. I can also get content brought via iTunes off the iPAD using MediaConnect and onto the NAS.

Works well for me.
    this is why i use my NAS and my touchpad running android. cant wait to get my raspberry pi to use as a XBMC streamer in my lounge.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    What hardware (PDA/phone/rubbish laptop/magic box thingy) have you got already that you can re-use?

There are myriad ways to get music to summat-or-other, probably without spending any money, apart from possibly the speakers.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • davis
    TheStone wrote:
    Jeepie wrote:

I've gone down the Squeezebox route. Quite a bit cheaper than Sonos. It's not perfect, but works. Sound quality very good.

+1. Love mine. Even ended up with one at work.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    spasypaddy wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:

Works well for me.
    this is why i use my NAS and my touchpad running android. cant wait to get my raspberry pi to use as a XBMC streamer in my lounge.

Obviously this is English, but not as I know it Jim. Baffled and feeling stupid right now.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • spasypaddy
    sketchley i have a linkstation live, what good would putting twonky on it do?
  • DrLex
    SimonAH wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:

Works well for me.

Obviously this is English, but not as I know it Jim. Baffled and feeling stupid right now.

It's also the reason why Sonos sells well, notwithstanding the high WAF (wife acceptance factor) of such kit; simple to set-up and use.
  • essex-commuter
    davis wrote:
    What hardware (PDA/phone/rubbish laptop/magic box thingy) have you got already that you can re-use?

There are myriad ways to get music to summat-or-other, probably without spending any money, apart from possibly the speakers.

Couple of laptops
    Android phone (which I know I can now get an iTune remote app for!)
    A nice pair of Monitor Audio speakers (I sold ALL my seperates about 5 years ago but kept the speakers).

That's it really :|
  • davis
    davis wrote:

Couple of laptops
    A nice pair of Monitor Audio speakers (I sold ALL my seperates about 5 years ago but kept the speakers).

Well the simplest/cheapest thing is probably to stick a free client on a laptop or the phone playing from iTunes (in fact I think just installing iTunes on your laptop then doing the "share library" thing will do it), plugged into a pair of fairly decent active PC speakers. I leave a pair in my kitchen for this purpose.

I wouldn't use the MA speakers; you'd need a separate amp, and they'd get covered in bleurgh if they're near a turbo.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    I hate the iTunes app, but I run varieties of airport express and apple tv3.

I get:
    wireless music or video from any iTunes library connected to my network to multiple AirEx or ATV out points
    the same for my iPhone
    it's easy and works out of the box. add on ATVFlash to get full SMB access to NAS devices
    the remote and remote HD apps for the iphone are great and it means my little media server hums away and I control it from the phone.

How easy is it? Well, Apple sells it so it must be for simpletons...
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • I've got a Pure Avanti Flow in the bedroom. Not saying it's true hifi, but sounds fine for normal listening. I got it on sale for less than £200 for which you get DAB, FM, Internet radio, IPOD and MP3 docking and media serving directly from PC. Easy to set up and use, and very flexible.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • essex-commuter
    davis wrote:
    davis wrote:

Couple of laptops

Well the simplest/cheapest thing is probably to stick a free client on a laptop or the phone playing from iTunes (in fact I think just installing iTunes on your laptop then doing the "share library" thing will do it), plugged into a pair of fairly decent active PC speakers. I leave a pair in my kitchen for this purpose.

I wouldn't use the MA speakers; you'd need a separate amp, and they'd get covered in bleurgh if they're near a turbo.

Not sure about the share library bit but apart from that I am already doing what you describe. However I want to send the music wirelessly to other parts of the house and garage....which is why I keep coming back to Airport Express which I can connect to a midi system I have in the garage and, well, and another one to something else, maybe an amp for the speakers.
  • DrLex
    [...] maybe an amp for the speakers.
    Cheap amp?
  • spasypaddy
    if you are buying an amp and going down the airplay route i think some have them built in
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    Gussio wrote:
    Really want to understand this stuff, but for me it is like trying to dicipher Ancient Greek :?
    +1brazillion. I understood music, then I got a bit lost.
  • Sonos FTW.

Dead easy setup, integrates with iTunes, can choose Sonos components to suit whether you have kit or just speakers or no kit in a given room.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I've signed up to iTunes match, so all my music is available on the "cloud" and can be accessed by any of my (or my wife's) Apple devices . I have an Apple TV wired into my A/V setup for the kitchen and living room, and a Zeppelin Air in the bedroom. Piece of p1ss to use, just grab my my iPhone, select Apple TV or Zeppelin as the speakers and hit play. Ideal for a London flat, not so good for a house.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    My library is too big for iTunes Match :(
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    My library is too big for iTunes Match :(

http://www.macworld.com/article/1163599 ... limit.html

Does suck that they've limited it though.
  • davis
    Not sure about the share library bit but apart from that I am already doing what you describe. However I want to send the music wirelessly to other parts of the house and garage....which is why I keep coming back to Airport Express which I can connect to a midi system I have in the garage and, well, and another one to something else, maybe an amp for the speakers.

My point was really that you can use your existing/spare hardware to play the music rather than buying yet more tin... the essence of what you need is a WiFi connection and a sound output.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I've just bought the Sonos Play 5. I absolutely love the Sonos interface - so easy to use on an iPad - and throw in Spotify (which is seemelessly integrated into Sonos interface) and you have a huge quantity of music available. Can't recommend it enough.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Is there a way of doing this without having a PC/Laptop on? i.e is it possible to connect a hard drive to the network and stream music to my ipad/phone over home sharing or some other app?

Sorry for the slight hijack but i've got most of my music on my old pc that hardly ever gets used, I'd like to be able to do like IP does at the drop of a hat, but on the cheap.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017