slightly smaller or slightly larger inner tubes?

danlightbulb
danlightbulb Posts: 701
edited April 2012 in MTB general
Sorry to keep posting about inner tubes...

Im thinking of getting some of these slime filled tubes: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bontrager/self-sealing-tube-ec001854. They have good reviews.

My current tyres are Conti Mountain King 2.2, but in actuality they are only 2" across.

The other tyres I may switch back to on occasion are 2" decathlon tyres that came with the bike.

So do I buy the 1.75/2.125 size tube to fit the actual dimension of both tyres or do I buy the 2.2/2.5 tube to fit the named dimension of the conti's, but which will be too big for the 2" decathlon tyres.

And which valve type is better, presta or shroder?

Thanks

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Smaller with valves that fit your rims
  • Thanks. Currently have schroder valves, which means both will fit won't they? Wiggle and Evans only has presta valve ones in stock in that size.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Thanks. Currently have schroder valves
    So close...
  • lol, Schrader... that better?
  • Inner tubes filled with slime can weight quite a bit. You can get thicker skinned regular tubes, such as maxxis welter weight.
    Are they wire bead mountain kings, from halfords? I had them over winter, and the punctures were ridiculous. I will never use the tyres again. I use panaracers now and touch wood no punctures.
  • Are they wire bead mountain kings, from halfords? I had them over winter, and the punctures were ridiculous. I will never use the tyres again. I use panaracers now and touch wood no punctures.

Yes. I can't see anything in the tyre though, Ive looked closely, but your comment doesn't bode well. Wonder if i'd get away with taking them back if I cleaned them up thoroughly.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Feel instead of looking, your fingers are sensitive. Slime tubes are rubbish, and heavy.
    And you can't take used tyres back.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Slime tubes are rubbish, and heavy.

They do seem to have very good reviews both on evans and wiggle. Halfords own brand ones are 3 for 2 making them £5.30 each.
    cooldad wrote:
    And you can't take used tyres back.

Actually I nearly took them back the day I bought them, as one of them had a 4" score line in the side wall. However they were already on the bike before I noticed and I was going riding the next day, so I left them on. Maybe could get away with taking them back as faulty.

If you dont mind me asking (cos I'm new to all this), how many punctures do you get?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I had one in August 2010. I remember because I was in Wales at the time, it was pissing with rain, and my pump packed up so I had to strip it and fiddle with it. Was a stupid snakebite that I knew was going to happen before it did - end of the ride, really tired, and just didn't have the strength left to unweight over a sharp step.
    So not a lot. I use whatever tubes were cheap on Ebay (so long since I bought some I don't remember, and fairly lightweight Maxxis Ignitor Exception tyres, so nothing special.
    Just lucky I guess.

But a year or two before that I did go through a spate of them, 3 or 4 in a few months - patched the tubes, and still using them.

Off to Cwmcarn tomorrow, so sods law says I'll get one, tempting fate like this.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Well fingers crossed you'll be ok lol. I'm pretty sure my puncture happened on the local canals, not at Cannock.

It could be my own fault too, the only pump I currently have available is a twin barrel foot pump, and its not very good at pumping up my bike tire so I could well have overpressurised it. Need to get a track pump and pressure gauge.
  • With the mountain kings, I would say I got a 1 puncture for every 2 rides I had with them.
    I remember going to scar tree red route and getting 3 punctures in 1 day and that was when enough was enough.
    Ive had panaracers on since january now, and so far, not a single puncture.
    If you have a read around, wire bead continental mountain kings dont get great write ups.
    Use them now you have them, but when they need replacing go for something else.