Wheel upgrade for a boardman team carbon 2009

Lifeboy123
Lifeboy123 Posts: 213
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
Im a relative newcomer to cycling but have covered 2000 miles on my boardman. Ive just replace th chain and cassette but just can't justify buying a second more expensive bike at he mo so looking to upgrade my wheels. The current wheelsrt is ritchey ds pros which contrary to all the reports have served me trouble free. I'm looking to upgrade the wheelset relative to the quality of the bike and frame but also something that I can later transfer to a new frame in time.

The following are two I'm considering but im open to other recommendations:-

Kysrium elites. (lbs advised the equipes are the seem same level as my exiting wheels)
American classic aero 420

I'm not exactly the lightest rider, 5'8, 83kg but very leg strong

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I have just got the AC 420 Aeros and really like them. They are only 1530g the pair and it really shows on the bike, they spin up really nice and climb really well too.

They do have very small hubs though so longevity is yet to be determined (although they have been upgraded/improved since the original design that had recall issues) - but did I mention they are light!!

When in the shop the guy spent ages going through all the pro's and con's of different stuff (including the Kyseriums and hand bult etc. etc.) but the thing that finally convinced me was the rear freehub and spoke nipple design.

They have a unique freehub cam system that ensures all the pawls engage at the same time as opposed to individual springs on conventional freehubs. The spoke nipples, although aluminium are designed with a different head to allow the spoke to go in further and put the nipple in compression rather than tension. This is supposed to eliminate that fatigue issue of traditional aluminium nipples that can snap in time.

They are pretty stiff too and I now have zero brake rub even when really stomping up hill. I also like the deeper section (34mm) rim. It is a nice trade between aero benefit but not too much side wind issue IMHO.

The other thing to mention is that the braking surface is quite narrow and you do need to carefully set up the brakes to ensure the pads do not rub on the tyre or graphics on the wheel. You also need to select pads that are narrow enough.

The absolute final thing that did it fo me was I have a Cannondale and thought it made sense to have American wheels on an American bike - but that is just personal preference.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Lifeboy123
    Thanks, the red graphics aren't the best to match the boardman yellow but I'm viewing these wheels for my next bike...andbmight even transfer the Sram shifters , I'm curious to know what cannondale you ride, they get a very good write up.?
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    edited April 2012
    Mine is a CAAD 5 so a little old school now but does me. Retro if you like (like me).

They are very nice and the aluminium frame has hour glass rear stays and together with the slice carbon forks is actually quite comfy (in a head down arse in the air kind of way).

The AC wheels just seemed the right thing and did I mention how light they were.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • leshere
    leshere Posts: 38
    For what it is worth I had some wheels built for my sons Boardman CX (Mavic Open Pro on a XT 6 bolt hub) it might be worth talking to a wheel builder I got a big weight saving used Harry Rowland and did it by email and post. The tyres also made a big difference and were a cheaper fix. Total weight saving was over 1 kilo form the CX wheels and tyres (and much of that is rotational weight too)
    L
  • Lifeboy123
    Leshere - do you mind if I ask how much they cost? What was the delivery time from order? 1kg seems a big saving I didnt think the ritcheys are that heavy ?
  • BruceG
    BruceG Posts: 347
    I have a set of brand new Roval Fusee SL, these have never been used I took them off my Tarmace Pro SL4 straight away as i had a set of carbones for it. Rrp is circa £500, your for £350 posted, nice lightweight wheels which will look great on your boardman
  • SFT
    SFT Posts: 156
    I have the same bike and went for a pair of these http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/WPS ... lset_(pair)
    I got them for £299, so keep an eye out for when the price drops again.

They are a big improvement!
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    If the hubs are OK and the rims are not worn out then why not keep what you've got and replace them when the time comes?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Sevenfold
    Sevenfold Posts: 86
    Same issue - same bike. I went with Sram AL30 Race. Very happy with them so far (600+ miles) matched with Schwalbe Ultremo ZX tyres. Not the cheapest around (good deal from Fudges Cyclestore) but light & tyres fit easily.
  • leshere
    leshere Posts: 38
    Lifeboy123 wrote:
    Leshere - do you mind if I ask how much they cost? What was the delivery time from order? 1kg seems a big saving I didnt think the ritcheys are that heavy ?
    I think it might well be the tyres as well...the cost was modest as these things go I think do PM if you wnat details I will diog them out. It is possible I made an error of course I am a very newbie cycling Daddy! :oops: