First road bike query

garynevstasche
garynevstasche Posts: 99
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
Hi all,

Newbie to the forums here.

Not cycled any great amount for years and looking to get back into it having been asked to participate in a 4 day London-Paris ride for charity next year.

Thought it would he a great opportunity to get fit, meet new people (as I recently moved to an area where I know very few people) and raise some money for charity.

I appreciate it will be a huge undertaking, starting from virtually scratch (used to ride my bike loads when I was younger but very little since), but I'm only 31 (will be 33 by the time it comes round), have no major ailments and have 15 months to prepare.

One rather crucial point though...I need a bike!

Been looking around, picking people's brains, visiting shops and have come to the conclusion I know very little! I have a budget of around 700 quid for the bike, and have been drawn to a 2011 Specialized Secteur Sport for just 600 quid. On the face of it it would appear to be a good fit for what I need (worth pointing out here we're not carrying our own bags), and the geometry seems to work for me (had a brief try, though as I've said I know nothing).

Am I thinking on the right lines or barking up the wrong tree?

Comments

• Simmotino
    Simmotino Posts: 295
    Welcome to the forums :)

The Spesh will suit you just fine in terms of ability to deliver what you need it to, but the most important factor (whichever bike you buy) is how it feels under you. You'll be spending a lot of time on it over the next 15 months and for the event itself, so getting something that is comfortable would be my primary requirement.

That, of course, will be pretty much specific to you, so try and ride anything you are considering to get an idea as to how it feels. For the budget you are looking at, they'll all be more than capable of making the journey with you.

Oh, and good luck! :D
  • Thanks for the advice!

From what I've been able to tell from a brief try it seemed comfortable. I appreciate that's not the same as being comfortable having been in the saddle for hours, but it's likely to be as much as I can tell before purchase. I liked the fact it was a slightly more upright position than some road bikes, I guess that might make me a bit slower, but I'm unlikely to be challenging any speed records (I'll be happy to make it through one piece!).
  • Actually had a chance to pop into LBS today (Two Wheels Stourbridge) rather than the larger chain stores I've been into previously.

Really impressed with the amount of time they spent with me, talking me through various options. Given me plenty to think about, tried out a Giant Defy 3 for size which seemed a great fit for me, and seriously considering it (especially as the shop are 5 minutes away).

Really looking forward to getting a bike now and clocking up the miles!
  • Simmotino
    Simmotino Posts: 295
    Good to hear you have a good LBS, would certainly recommend using them as opposed to a chain as, as you've already found, a little time and advice is invaluable.

Sounds like you're well on your way to making a decision too :wink:
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    The Secteur would be perfect. It's more relaxed than a full race bike and absorbs road noise a bit better too. Don't get too hung up on bike choice, the important thing is not too dither too much. Buy a decent bike and get some miles in :-)

Once you're used to it get some clip-in SPD pedals and shoes in a few months time.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!