Tools needed to change SRAM cassette

tipped
tipped Posts: 27
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
Hey guys,

Got some new wheels coming later on this week and it just dawned on me that I don't have the tools (or experience) to move my cassette over myself. I've googled a bit and it seems simple enough, but I just want to check:

will this: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/park-tools-sr11 ... g-remover/ remove the SRAM lock ring without any difficulty? Seems to work out cheaper than buying a separate chain whip and a lock ring remover (which sort of surprises me)

And the only other tool I'll need is a spanner.

Is this correct?

edit: Upon looking more carefully that tool has no such lockring remover, simply a socket to fit their remover. Eughh.
Planet X SL Team 2011 (SRAM Red, Krysium Elite)

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    A bit confusing is that. Presumably the blue bit slides out of the chain whip else I can't see how you'd be able to use the lockring remover and the chainwhip at the same time.

And at the risk of incurring the wrath of the tool Nazis (only joking!) - for the same price as the Park tool you can this week get a whole tool kit from Lidl. Certainly not up to Park standards but I've relied on a similar kit for 95% of the work I've done on bikes (including 3 bike restorations) over the last few years. So far I've broken one lockring remover (my fault) and the chainlink remover (my fault!). It has the Shimano/Sram lockring remover and the chainwhip.

MT_58887_01_b.jpg
    Faster than a tent.......
  • warrerj
    warrerj Posts: 665
    You'll need a chain whip and a lockign ring tool along with some copper slip (or other assembly grease).

I'd go for this type of lockign ring tool rather than the socket type myself. I find them easier to use (not that the socket type are difficult). http://www.wiggle.co.uk/bbb-btl-12-lockout-lock-ring-removal-tool/
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    warrerj wrote:
    You'll need a chain whip and a lockign ring tool along with some copper slip (or other assembly grease)...[/url]

Can I ask, what's the grease for? I used to grease the hub of my mtb for a while. I stopped when I realised that it was doing nothing other than harbouring grit and gunge.

There has been no change to cassette/hub wear/notching and less mess and cleaning needed when changing a cassette.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,159
    you put a bit of anti-seize (copperslip etc.) on the cassette lockring threads before assembly - otherwise over time it may corrode in place
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • I've moved my SRAM cassette's loads of times with an old bit of chain nailed to a bit of wood as a whip and this

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_242558

probably can be got cheaper if you search and it's dead easy
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    sungod wrote:
    you put a bit of anti-seize (copperslip etc.) on the cassette lockring threads before assembly - otherwise over time it may corrode in place

Ah! I've never had a cassette on a bike for long enough for that to happen! :wink:
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • tipped
    tipped Posts: 27
    Cheers for all the advice lads, got it all sorted now

That Lidl tool pack looks awesome (I already have a floor pump with the same branding and loads of socks from there - both are great for the price). Shame they get such low levels of stock in, has been ransacked by lunchtime of Monday on previous weeks I'd looked.
    Planet X SL Team 2011 (SRAM Red, Krysium Elite)