Stans/Maxxis tubeless troubles

vala
vala Posts: 197
edited April 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Got some Stans Flow rims which I'm trying to mount Maxxis High Rollers to. There not the LUST versions however a lot of threads from various forums report that when using Stans rims this shouldn't be a problem.
The new tyre slipped onto the rim with no drama's however when trying to get the bead to seat it's just not happening.
So far I've tried soap lubricant (diluted and neat) with a track pump and also took it over to a local garage where they tried getting it to seat with their air line - and still no joy!

Anyone have any ideas as to what I could try (other then just put an inner tube in it!)?

Thanks

Comments

• warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Stick a tube in, leave it a while, carefully open 1 side, remove tube, refit open side, pump like crazy, pray (once seated add stans fluid through valve).

To be fair, the above has worked every time for me.
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    It dont work if you ride hard.

Ive tried 3 diffrent maxxis non tubless tyres on flows, all kevlar bead, advantage, crossmark and minion.

They blow up and seal ok with a compressor but i blew off a crossmark from 3ft to flat drop at 35psi. The advantage and minion rolled over on off camber roots at 30psi.

The bead is just not tight enough to hold the rim, proper tubless tyres have a tighter bead that takes about 60psi to seat properly on rim.
  • jmj
    jmj Posts: 100
    warpcow wrote:
    Stick a tube in, leave it a while, carefully open 1 side, remove tube, refit open side, pump like crazy, pray (once seated add stans fluid through valve).

This has worked for me every time with High Rollers on my Flow rims. Only really found it a prob with new fresh out the box tyres. Fit with tube, pump up, deflate and remove tube carefully from one side, refix valve and pump up with track pump or CO2 for the lazy.

Never had a prob with coming off the rim except once where I was running stupidly low pressure (about 15-20psi) around a berm at Winlatter.

J
    Commencal Meta 55 Team custom build
    Giant Trance 06
  • No problem here with Flows & non ust High Rollers, but one thing that makes it easier is removing the valve core to get more air in quicker!
  • vala
    thanks for the replies.

this is the gap I'm dealing with between the tyre and the rim

33neo0l.jpg

I've had a go with using an inner tube to get it inflated on one side, and that did work however I couldn't get the other side to seat once I had refitted it.
    I'm going to pop down to another garage this evening and give it a go again. This garage has some experience of inflating tubeless as there's a popular bike shop just next door who often use their air compressor.

Fingers crossed!
  • vala
    Success!! well 1/2 way there.

Went to another garage and with a bit of stretching of the tyre whilst it was being inflated it went up. Unfortunately on the way home the rear wheel's bead stayed against the rim however the front wheel didn't.
    Tomorrow I'll be heading to the local garage and will do the same method with the front.

Now just to add the sealant to the rear wheel and get that one sorted.

Thanks for all the advice everyone, much appreciated! :D