Giant Reign 1 or 2 ????

chazkayak
chazkayak Posts: 193
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
My LSB has offered me a compromise for my old bike with a cracked frame. THey have offered me in return for my old bike plus €100 a Reign 2 or for €700 the Reign 1.

Question are.....

1, Can I justify spending the extra €600

2, Should I just go for the cheaper bike and upgrade slowly.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I would go for the Reign 1. The Rockshox Revelation forks are stiffer than the Fox Floats it has better transmission components & I would want the dropper seat post. It would cost you more than £600 to upgrade to the same spec.
    I bought a 2011 Reign X2 and have so far spent £700 on upgrades and still haven't changed the rear mech, shifters, rear shock or brakes.
  • chazkayak
    I was going to settle on the 2, but now not sure.

I had revelations on my old bike, they collapsed whilst riding so lost faith in them!! I do want a dropper seat post on my next bike though.
  • MDobs
    MDobs Posts: 167
    Really depends how much you'll notice the upgraded spec? and if you'd still want to upgrade the 1 then you might as well just go with the two and upgrade in you're own time. Rockshox 2012 dropper post is £205 on CRC at the moment.

I'm looking at getting a reign 3 frame (basically the cross-range frame as the number just refers to components) and doing a custom build with a second hand fork (and maybe wheelset). With the rest sourced from CRC, Merlin and Rose I worked out I could fully kit it out for around 800 including a full xt groupset (inc brakes), dropper post and raceface finishing kit.

That's a long way of saying that I think, with a bit of careful sourcing, you could make better use of the 600 extra it'll cost to go to from the 2 to 1.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    If you always upgrade your bikes go with the 2 but if you just want to ride it get the 1, your just unlucky with the revs they are an outstanding fork. Dropper posts are a must imo.

I bought a reign frame of ebay and built it up so really depends what your goals are.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • chazkayak
    Im going to go with the 2, Ive never really noticed much difference between drive train components. Dropper seatpost will by my first buy followed by some Fox 36 forks I think.