Cheap GPS device

TKF
TKF Posts: 279
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
I would like a cheap GPS device for ride tracking purposes.

I currently have the following:
Android phone with strava app installed
Polar HRM
Cateye V2c

My problem is that on a recent 4hr ride the battery on the phone was down to 10%. Therefore I just want to replace that bit and need a long life GPS device capable of exporting a GPX file.

I don't need anything flash at all. It would just sit in a jersey pocket or saddle bag and track stuff for analysis on strava.

I'd rather not have to eBay the Cateye and Polar to part fund a Garmin 500/800 although it is an option.

Thoughts?

Comments

• prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    If you're just tracking the garmin edge 200 would do, the Bryton ones are good too but the garmin is better integrated into the strava website. Another option would be to buy a cheap ass payg android phone and use that. A lot of Sony erricsson ones are ant+ too so you could get a garmin cadence sensor and HRM strap.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,974
    Is this the kind of thing you are after?
    http://www.holux-uk.co.uk/holux-m-241-bluetooth-gps-logger.php?it=220&ca=54&p=1&so=0
    I haven't got one so can't comment but I use a Holux GPS/Computer and I'm pleased with that.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • TKF
    prawny wrote:
    If you're just tracking the garmin edge 200 would do, the Bryton ones are good too but the garmin is better integrated into the strava website. Another option would be to buy a cheap ass payg android phone and use that. A lot of Sony erricsson ones are ant+ too so you could get a garmin cadence sensor and HRM strap.
    I already have an Android SE phone and the battery life is the problem. GPS eats through it. Plus I already have the HRM and cadence stuff.

Will probably look for a used Garmin 200 or one of the others mentioned.
  • NeilMick
    NeilMick Posts: 98
    TKF wrote:
    prawny wrote:
    I already have an Android SE phone and the battery life is the problem. GPS eats through it. Plus I already have the HRM and cadence stuff.

Will probably look for a used Garmin 200 or one of the others mentioned.

Turn everything off and set your phone to aeroplane mode and just have GPS running, on a 3 hour ride it only uses 30% of my HTC Desire battery! :D
  • sagefly
    sagefly Posts: 295
    NeilMick, that is great advice I've been running the battery out in 150 minutes on my HTC windows phone using endomondo app. That should save the duplication of a GPS app and a dedicated GPS device.

Cheers
    Turned out nice again!
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    I just bought a Mermory Map 2800 loaded with OS Maps for £200 on a deal from the Ordnance Survey store. It's the dogs! Completely brilliant. It's not so intuitive to use as the Garmin units but it also hasn't got their mapping limitations.*

*I must confess to being a Garmin junkie. The 2800 is replacing a 205 and I have Garmin plotters on both boats, Garmin sat nav in the cars (where OEM isn't fitted) but I just couldn't justify the massive cost of the 800 and the faff of trying to get OS mapping on it.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I would recommend a Garmin Edge 500 over the Edge 200. The cost of the Edge 500 (without HR and GSC-10) is not much more than the Edge 200, but at least you have the option of adding HR/cadence and even a power meter at a later date. I really can't work out why the Edge 200 exists given how close it is in price to the Edge 500.
    More problems but still living....
  • TKF
    NeilMick wrote:
    Turn everything off and set your phone to aeroplane mode and just have GPS running, on a 3 hour ride it only uses 30% of my HTC Desire battery! :D
    Hadn't considered that. I'll give it a go next time I'm out.
  • thegodplato
    thegodplato Posts: 319
    I'm in the same predicament and looked at the Holux 260, Garmin 200 but wondering about splashing the cash on a Garmin 800 so that I have maps to follow which I believe the others don't - they seem to be more a case of plot your ride at home on the PC and follow that so if you do get lost you're trying to find the way back yourself. But obvioulsy there's a huge difference between the Holux at £80, the 200 at £100 and then the 800 at £252 so would appreciate any comments
    2012 Bianchi Via Nirone Xenon

960 miles in 8 days starting 6th April 2013
    www.justgiving.com/teams/cyclemadness

cyclemadness.blogspot.co.uk
  • prawny
    I was talking to a chap on sunday about my 800. I really rate it.

I don't use the routing all that much but I'm gald to have the option when I need it. It means I can plot a route in an area im not familiar with and just enjoy the ride rather than getting lost and ending up doing less miles than I wanted to or more than I can cope with. I was short of cash a couple of months ago and seriously I would rather have sold one of my bikes than my garmin.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    Plotting routes? Meh. Go! Explore! Follow road signs!

Find out where you actually went when you get home :D
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • TKF
    Gizmo_ wrote:

Exactly the same here.
  • prawny
    TKF wrote:
    Gizmo_ wrote:

Exactly the same here.

I agree and I'd love to have time to explore but It's not often I have a day to go out on my bike and if I want to go somewhere specific that's far away I like having the option of the map. But that's me. :|
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017