Tyre Width Choice

simonp123
simonp123 Posts: 490
edited April 2012 in MTB general
I was wondering what are the main considerations in choosing tyre width? bviously frame clearance and rim width confine this to some extent, but what for example would make you choose wider than 2.1” Is it the terrain you ride on, the speed you ride at, or just because you can?
I have been running 2.1”on my No Tubes Flow rims (which will take much wider) due to lack of frame clearance on my old bike. The new one would tolerate a much wider tyre, so I’m wondering if I should be looking at wider ones, and if so why? Being on the heavier side I do find that I run out of tyre grip quite quickly at speed, which makes me think a wider tyre may help, but then I guess the rolling resistance goes up so it is a compromise.

Comments

• leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    simonp123 wrote:
    I was wondering what are the main considerations in choosing tyre width? bviously frame clearance and rim width confine this to some extent, but what for example would make you choose wider than 2.1” Is it the terrain you ride on, the speed you ride at, or just because you can?
    I have been running 2.1”on my No Tubes Flow rims (which will take much wider) due to lack of frame clearance on my old bike. The new one would tolerate a much wider tyre, so I’m wondering if I should be looking at wider ones, and if so why? Being on the heavier side I do find that I run out of tyre grip quite quickly at speed, which makes me think a wider tyre may help, but then I guess the rolling resistance goes up so it is a compromise.

It is always a compromise-wider tyres are heavier and generally give more rolling resistance. However, they also give more grip(but not in mud) and due to the increased air volume have more "give" in them(on a hardtail at least)

Im currently running 2.35 front and 2.1 rear. I may go for a wider rear at some point to make it more comfortable
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Yeah there are plus and minus points to changing width and none is right or wrong as its all about compromise.

The wider the tyre, generally the heavier its going to be (unless you go for a thin walled tire which may then reduce puncture resistance) and the rolling resistance goes up too.

As to the width it depends on what you want to active, what type of riding you do and your style too.

Personally I try not to go over 2.1 as for me light weight & speed are my main concerns & being an out and out X/C racer everything else goes to the bottom of the pile. However my brother is more of a trail centre mad man and likes the feel of a larger tyre for high speed cornering and general hooligan behaviour.

I guess grip is the main consideration but you can't say that a larger tyre will give you more grip as it will depend on what conditions it is designed to run in or is it a do-it-all tyre as you might find a really grippy tyre at 2.1 that does better than a 2.5 just down to your local terrain.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Personally I am beginning to think the whole rolling resistance thing is a myth. I've been using wider tyres than i used to with no notable extra drag, but lots more grip. If I were a scientist I may test this theory, but I'm not, so you only get an anecdote.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Tom Barton
    Tom Barton Posts: 516
    Size doesn't nessicerily equate equally to rolling resistance.

Rolling resistance depends more on the tread pattern and the stickiness of the rubber. I.e. knobbly mud tyres although smaller will not roll as well as an equally thin tyre with a more alround tread pattern. And anyone who has ridden with Maxxis super tacky tyres will tell you they grip like mad but its like pedalling uphill in treacle.

The size and volume of the the tyre will dictate partly the weight (depending on how thick the sidewalls are) but also how well they deal with rocks and bumps. Larger volume tyres like the infamous conti Rubber queens will eat boulders up by their sheer size at a weight cost, yet they are not unduly slow rolling. Lower volume tyres will give a more snappy response and will change direction a bit easier (again depending on tread pattern to a certain extent). And within the range of sizes tyres will be aimed more at XC (light) or trail (heavier/sturdier) riders.

Tread pattern is very important, aggressive tread patterns with strong shoulder knobs will suit a rider who likes to hit the turns hard. A more rounded tyre profile with equal sized knobs will suit an alround riding style and then other tyres will have patterns with very close knobs aimed more at speed. (Mud tyres with broadly spaced knobs will shed mud the best). Many tyres as mentioned will try and achieve a compromise and many riders run a different tyre on the front to the rear to compromise front grip with lower rolling resistance at the back.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Tom Barton wrote:
    Tread pattern is very important, aggressive tread patterns with strong shoulder knobs will suit a rider who likes to hit the turns hard.

Thats excatly why I run 2.35 front and back, any smaller and the bike feels twitchy as hell in corners.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    The shoulder tread on a 2.35 Minion is exactly the same as a 2.7 Minion and that's what counts in the corners. The main advantage of wider tyres is that they are not so easily deflected by rocks roots etc and they're better when braking in a straight line.

If you are riding on fairly mellow trails and don't have to brake too much then narrower tyres are the best choice.
  • simonp123
    simonp123 Posts: 490
    The trouble is I ride such a variation of stuff. Mid-week rides tend to be on quite well surfaced towpaths if I go one way and bumpy, sometimes grassy, sometimes very slippery mud the other way. Then there is the occasional trail centre and this is where I have some grip issues on faster twisty stuff or over rocks. The rocks I find especially and issues as the tyres seem to like to ping around a lot even with low-ish pressures which is why I had been thinking about wider tyres. My Nobby Nic seems quite narrow for its 2.1" size compared to the Kenda Nevegal on the front.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    benpinnick wrote:
    Personally I am beginning to think the whole rolling resistance thing is a myth. I've been using wider tyres than i used to with no notable extra drag, but lots more grip. If I were a scientist I may test this theory, but I'm not, so you only get an anecdote.
    Wider tyres do weight more though, whcih can have a very noticeable effect.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    2.35" min for me helps on the rocks and roots :)

But thats on the schwaulbs, with maxxis i tend to prefer 2.5" because they seem to be so narrow :S but it depends where and what you ride all the time, so what do you ride? :p