Surfing / Wetsuits

Pross
Pross Posts: 43,163
edited June 2012 in The bottom bracket
A mate of mine is making me a surfboard so that I can get in the water on my regular visits to Devon (he normally makes hollow timber boards but is making me an EPS board with wood veneer to trial a new technique for himself, 8' long to help a complete novice to stand up!!).

I've just been looking at getting a winter wetsuit as I currently only have a shorty for bodyboarding in the summer. However, the choice of sizes is mind boggling and makes choosing a bike frame seem simple with each manufacturer having different size ranges. Despite that none seem to quite be the right fit - if I choose one to suit my height (and often weight) then the waist seems to be too big or, dropping down to a tall version of the next size down the waist is too small! The closest I can get seems to be a Billabong medium tall. I'm sure there are a few of you out there into watersports (or just wearing a wetsuit to that 'special club' at the weekend). What would you say is the key dimension? I assume height is most important for comfort but I'm also aware that I don't want anything too baggy or it won't work as effectively.

I need to check my measurements as I suspect my real waist size is larger than the 32" waist I now get for trousers but think I'll be something like:-

Height 6' 1.5"
Weight 180lbs
Chest 40"
Waist 34"

Any advice greatly received. I know the best thing would be to try some on but there aren't many shops in this area that sell wetsuits and those that do don't have a great range of stock (plus I feel it is unfair to use them to get measured up and then buy online but the cost savings mean an internet purchase is almost a must as the shops I've been in haven't got enough choice or items on sale).

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Wetsuits are something you HAVE to try on - even more so than bikes - Different makes do have very varied sizes, When I worked in a surf shop (traditional job for the modern Cornish Boy) , I could brand/size someone with one with one look, but I'm afraid i ve lost it now! IIRC RipCurl are better for the more rounded fellow (a bit like Endura), O'Neill are better for skinny people. Salomon wetsuits are sized...uniquely..but may fit you well. If you re really stuck - there is a guy in Newquay that makes custom ones, but i ve forgotten the name of him, sorry.

In general, more money gets you a stretchier Neoprene, more conceled/better sealed seams/ and better sealed ankles/wrists/neck. Basically, they ll be more comfy and warmer (for a given thickness) than a cheaper one. Good suits, are stunningly good now in comparison to those from a few year ago, they feel like second skins!

You may have to wait until you can get down to Devonto a decent shop if you cant find much up North! It's worth paying a bit exta to get right. If you want a winter one, Summer is the time to get one so there's your angle on a mate's rate! ;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    ddraver has this covered lol. Try on in a shop :D
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Nice work DDR.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Pross, If you need to buy online, find a shop that has a free returns policy and order 2 or 3 sizes and send wrong sizes back, i did this recently with a Billabong, worked a treat
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Pross
    Cheers, I'll take the advice. I'm impetuous though and once I've decided I am going to buy something I can't wait to get it! I'm hoping to be able to pick up one of last years winter suits cheap, there seem to plenty around for less than my £150 budget it's just finding somewhere with a large enough range.

At least my board will be unique and from the others my mate has built it will be a work of art compared to the run-of-the-mill boards.
  • Pross
    Pross, If you need to buy online, find a shop that has a free returns policy and order 2 or 3 sizes and send wrong sizes back, i did this recently with a Billabong, worked a treat

Thanks, I was originally thinking of going down that route (or at least getting the size I think will be right and sending that back if necessary). Where did you buy from out of interest?
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Pross wrote:

Thanks, I was originally thinking of going down that route (or at least getting the size I think will be right and sending that back if necessary). Where did you buy from out of interest?

www.wetsuitoutlet.co.uk, it doesn't mention free returns on the website, so make sure you call first and get them to AGREE to free returns on the non fitting items as I don't think they do i as a matter of course.
    Wiggle also do free returns on wetsuits, so may be worth a try - good luck!
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    I recall you go to South Devon? Try one on, you can try some here http://www.overheadsurf.co.uk/ (just the other side of the bridge), they always have a decent stock. As it's summer you could poss' get a winter bargain, I got a lovely summer sale Rip Curl last winter - £80 from £120 iirc. I wouldn't say exact height is the most important, you could give or take a bit at the ankle - I wouldn't like to be paddling with a wetsuit tight across the chest and shoulders for long. Do you go surfing in the depths of winter? I find mine (3/2) more than adequate for autumn and spring surfing.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • ddraver
    ^That's where I used to work - 'cept is was called Fistral Surf Co. back then....
    - @ddraver
  • Aggieboy
    ddraver wrote:
    ^That's where I used to work - 'cept is was called Fistral Surf Co. back then....

I thought it had improved.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    Aggieboy wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Damn - I put wetsuits and Aggie together hoping I would get Girls in Wetsuits - just an idea :wink:
  • ddraver
    kailey-and-ariana-backward-ride1.jpg

blog_1698_img_4_md.jpg

ss-sexy-wetsuits.jpg?100469

FYI - googling girls in wetsuits could get you sent to prison...
    - @ddraver
  • Aggieboy
    random man wrote:
    Aggieboy wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Damn - I put wetsuits and Aggie together hoping I would get Girls in Wetsuits - just an idea :wink:

A wetsuit would be a waste imho :wink: .............................

alana_blanchard.jpg
    tumblr_l3rjco7ylg1qcpq6no1_400.jpg
    surfer-girl.jpg
    sonia2.jpg
    alana-blanchard-2.jpg?w=500&h=666
    sexy-surfer-chicks-3.jpg
  • Well, not sure those wet-suits (above) would suit you, OP, not sure they'd complement your blue mottled complexion, should you decide to enter UK waters without 3mm neoprene on! I picked up a decent wetsuit last year from hotdog surf on widmouth bay in n cornwall, £50, out of season and last years stock, full price was £150, so a bargain. Fine for my needs, I do fairly lightweight bodyboarding / surfing May - November on my frequent but. Shortish visits to family there. But you really cant buy online by measurements, you have to try on.
  • velohutts
    velohutts Posts: 288
    I would try one on , most of the surf shops will be discounting the winter suits now , in the depths of winter a 5/4 mm suit should see you through.
    A 4/3 for spring autumn depending on how much you feel the cold.
    A good winter suit should be acheivable in a shop for about £100 upto 150 but if you can get a free return policy from someone online all good as online shopping isn't REALLY spending money (apparently) , sure most of us suffer with the pull of the spending trigger online when wouldn't normally in a shop !
    Good luck with the shopping , rip it up !!!
    Enigma Esprit Di2 - Go tI ! Summer !
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    OP, are you near a Decathlon store?

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/wetsuits-surf-sports-m.html

The older I get, the better I was.

• Pross
    Thanks for all the help on this, I meant to post a few weeks ago to say I'd got one. I was on a site visit to Newquay so took advantage to look for a suit. Found an Adler 5:4:3 for £99, tried it on (it was on the Friday of the really hot week and I was sweating a bit which made getting it on fun!!). Fortunately it fitted me like a glove as I would have been embarrassed to put it back with my sweat all over it!

I was down in Devon last week and with the weather the way it was surfing / body boarding was about the best thing to do. My mate is still making the laminate for my board so I did a fair bit of body boarding and the wetsuit was superb, lovely and warm in and out of the water - I just need some fins now as getting out through the waves was hard work as was pushing off the bottom with the swell in front of each wave.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Pross, MTFU, you don't need a wetsuit :D :

richardbransondenniparkinson.jpg
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • Trickyh
    Trickyh Posts: 50
    edited June 2012
    jordan_217 wrote:
    Pross, MTFU, you don't need a wetsuit :D :

richardbransondenniparkinson.jpg

^^^^^ And yes that is Richard Branson with some South African supermodel.... The spawny get!
  • ddraver
    Photoshoped though is nt it? She does nt look right....Although....erm...hmmmm?
    - @ddraver
  • Aggieboy
    ddraver wrote:

No. It was a photo shoot for Vanity Fair...

article-1171739-04864E99000005DC-411_468x435.jpg
  • Trickyh
    Trickyh Posts: 50
    ddraver wrote:

Thats what we all thought on various kitesurfing forums when these photo's first emerged.

http://www.surfertoday.com/kiteboarding ... in-islands

I think its off the beach off his own personal island as well (the one that had the recent fire) The double spawny get! 8)
  • ddraver
    I hate him.....
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    If he was as young and good looking as me I wouldn't mind being him though :lol: