How do know if a rim is V-brake compatible?

jairaj
jairaj Posts: 3,009
edited April 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
As the title really. I have an old set of wheels where the rim has a flat surface possibly suitable as a V-brake, braking surface. But how do I Know for sure?

The flat surface looks like it is anodised black like the rest of the rim, any previous v-brake rim I have had in the past always had a machined braking surface that was raw metal and not coated in anything.

I'm not sure of the physics involved but I don't want to be putting forces on a rim which it was not designed for in case it disintegrates on me.

The rims are Sun Ringle Black Eye - did a quick search online and haven't been able to find any info apart from dimensions of the rim.

thanks, Jai

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    if they are disc only they often say so.

a quick google brings up
    http://www.mountainbikes.co.nz/Attachme ... alogue.pdf
    which shows the rim uses L7 which means it can be used with Rim brakes but your braking will be poor untill you wear the anodizing off.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jairaj
    Thanks for the info Nick. Saw that link but I'm having trouble opening on my computer.

The wheels are for my old hack of a commuter bike so hopefully should be fine not having total optimal braking.

But If I find the braking is rubbish would it be advisable using some wire wool or very fine grain sand paper to remove the anodising?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    get the DA sander out.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jairaj
    coolio cheers for the help again Nick.