Urgent selling advice needed.

nick300zx
nick300zx Posts: 219
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
Hi
I'm in the process of selling my Bianchi. I've got a couple of people coming to see it today.
Now I'm guessing that they will want a test ride. (I would).
Im not sure of the best procedure. Do I take a deposit; the full amount or just keep their car keys and leave them to it.
Just wondering what others do.

Cheers

Comments

• itsnotarace
    itsnotarace Posts: 518
    Do you have another bike you could accompany them on? Otherwise I would insist on full deposit left in cash before it went out of my sight
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Do you have another bike you could accompany them on? Otherwise I would insist on full deposit left in cash before it went out of my sight
    ^
    If they don't agree to this then they aren't serious about buying.
  • waynobfc
    waynobfc Posts: 32
    Insist on full deposit, then whilst they are out, lock the doors & shut the curtains!

Hey presto, sale on first viewing!
    I Dont Ride Hills, I Climb Mountains!

2010 Scott S40
    2011 Wilier Izoard XP
  • nick300zx

Yep I have another bike. Was thinking along the same lines.
    Thanks for the quick answers.
  • Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 Posts: 441
    Do you have another bike you could accompany them on?

The problem for me with this is that they could probably find a hill and ride off into the distance :oops: But you are probably faster than me so it should not be an issue.
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • nick300zx
    Ringo 68 wrote:

The problem for me with this is that they could probably find a hill and ride off into the distance :oops: But you are probably faster than me so it should not be an issue.

Didn't think of that scenario.

May have to take full deposit and ride with him and keep car keys :)
  • nick300zx wrote:
    Ringo 68 wrote:

Let them test it on some rollers!
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Follow behind them in the car with the spare bike on the roof shouting at them through a megaphone. It's what I would do.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    nick300zx wrote:
    Ringo 68 wrote:

FYI
    Had a friend that had his motorbike stolen... they turned up in a car, asked for a test ride and left the keys as a deposit... but they never returned. After calling the Police, it turned out that the car was stolen!
    Simon
  • houndlegs
    houndlegs Posts: 267
    Insist they leave full amount of money or no test ride, no other option would appeal to me.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    a test ride (or drive) with a car, is to check it works mechanically. You don't need to hare off aroud the countryside for that, you can do it up & down the road outside the house. You can pretty much do it with the bike on a stand and check it goes up and down the gear range to be honest
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • nick300zx
    Just a quick update.

When he arrived and had looked over bike i let him ride up and down the road outside my house a few times (cul-de-sac) which was enough for him to test gears etc.

He liked the bike, paid and took it away with him. Happy days!

Thanks again for all the advice
  • p9uma
    p9uma Posts: 565
    nick300zx wrote:
    Just a quick update.

When he arrived and had looked over bike i let him ride up and down the road outside my house a few times (cul-de-sac) which was enough for him to test gears etc.

He liked the bike, paid and took it away with him. Happy days!

Thanks again for all the advice

Good result, nice one.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    houndlegs wrote:
    Insist they leave full amount of money or no test ride, no other option would appeal to me.

I would still accompany them on the ride, just to make sure they don't damage the bike or come to grief.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.