10 speed chains and front rings

Sadoldsamurai
Sadoldsamurai Posts: 41
edited April 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, I've just got a brand new FSA 2 ring crank-set (and a new to me Ellsworth Moment :D ).
Running a shimano XT 10 speed cassette and XT 10 speed chain on a HOPE Pro II hubbed HOPE wheels...
all courtesy of WMB GotY..
1) can you get magic links for 10 speed chains, and more to the point are they 'interchangeable' between makes..(My old 9 speed chain has SRAM links on none SRAM chains and they seem OK...)
2) the front rings (42 /27 toothed) are too much for an old man winching up hills :oops:
..so can I replace the FSA with my old deore triple which has been converted to 34/24 double and bash (by changing the outer ring for a bash guard)?
3) I now loose the chain on my favorite downhill almost every time :cry:
(on the Genesis hardtail this was a rare event)- will a chain retention device help..and what would folk recommend.
They (chain retention devices) all look like they will cause some chain drag..and (see above) my climbing is so c%*p I can't afford any more drag/gravity.. :roll:
Thanks
Conrad
09 Genesis Altitude 20 (853)
07 Ellsworth Moment.. 2016 transmission
11 Genesis Croix de Fe (725)
C20 Orrel 26" (531C)
16 Dooooone (Calibre) Fatty
07 Orbit 9531DB0
WINNER 2011 WMB Gear of the Year..yes folks Mr Averages do win :D

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    10spd links can be used Sram are one use only KMC are multi use.
    yes but see the FAQ on what shifters and mechs work with a 9spd crankset.

they add very yery little.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    1) KMC do one, it fits most chains.
    2) Yes, 9 speed cranks work with 10 speed chains in my experience, but check the FAQs to be sure yours will work with the shifters.
    3) Shorten the chain as much as you can get away with, and set your gears up really well. Make sure that you pay alot of attention to the front mech. Consider winding in the Btension screw on the mech to give it as much tension as you can get away with.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.