New bike, sore neck

finnjävel
finnjävel Posts: 43
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
I recently got my first road bike. I took it for a first non-commuting ride last weekend. I rode about two hours, and had to stop around the halfway point to stretch my neck.
I assume this is at least partly something I just need to let my body adapt to, but are there any tips on how to deal with this? Something I need to pay attention to in my riding position, perhaps? I rode mostly on the hoods.
Any tips are welcome.

Comments

• rpd_steve
    rpd_steve Posts: 361
    Just something you get acustomed to over some miles/time. Its not normal to crane you kneck for so long! Provided your bars have not been slammed with all the spacers on top of the stem then its just a case of getting used to it. I had bad pain for the 1st month/400 miles until i got a bit more flexible.

Also try to look as much as as possibles with your eyes and not you head!
  • saunaboy
    saunaboy Posts: 116
    hey, Finland. lucky fella. Nice place to ride (admittledly for about 4 months of the year!!). I had the pleasure of riding there for a couple of years (Turku area & Uusimaa) and loved it. It's most certainly not a "hilly" place but I don't think I ever saw more than about 50 metres of flat road!

I keep banging on about this, but core strength does wonders. Everyone should do it. Stable core sets the rest of you up & protects against injury. You can get any nimber of routines via google or youtube.

Terveisia Englandista ja hauska matkat!
  • Kiitos, saunaboy, and thank you, Steve. I was afraid it was going to be the MTFU answer again :)

Yes, we have some nice roads around here (I live in Turku), I hope my new bike gives me an excuse to go and explore them. With the car I just see the motorways.
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    I was having the same issue and thought it was just a I need to strenghen up sort of thing. However, after readjusting my bike I realised it was all down to the angle of my seat. If your seat is level with the ground or tilted forward it causes you too put all your weight on your arms.

Try tilting the nose of your seat up slightly. This is what I have done and I have gone from sore neck after 40 mins cycling to no sore neck. Give it a go you will notice the difference in your weight distribution immediatly.
  • leedsmjh
    leedsmjh Posts: 196
    Are you wearing a MTB-type helmet with a peak? If so, taking the peak off may help.
    If MTFU doesn't work you might want to try a shorter stem.
  • Squillinossett
    Squillinossett Posts: 1,678
    leedsmjh wrote:
    Are you wearing a MTB-type helmet with a peak? If so, taking the peak off may help.
    If MTFU doesn't work you might want to try a shorter stem.

What is your current stem size though? I wouldnt advise this without knowing that as could end up going too short and make the bike a pig to handle.
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,920
    Try rotating your bars a little maybe. If you hoods are rotated back too much so to speak then this can can cause extra pressure up your arms and give you shoulder/neck pain.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'm going to try to ride more and take short breaks every now and then. If this keeps up, I'm going to the LBS to see what they'd suggest.
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    Trust me on tilting the seat up a bit, dont suffer like I did.
  • Squillinossett
    Squillinossett Posts: 1,678
    The best money you could spend would be on a bike fit if somewhere near you offers this service!

Should cost you around £100, but IMO you cant spend £100 on anything else that will help you more.
  • foggymike
    foggymike Posts: 862
    You don't need short breaks, just have a little neck stretch every 30/40 minutes or so. A look to the left, look to the right, lean it one way then the other. Repeat and there you go. It's just like standing every so often to help blood flow in the undercarriage. This assumes your position is otherwise OK but no-one can help you there without seeing you really so as you say a quick chat at the LBS would be a good idea. Don't worry, it's no big deal and easily sorted one way or another :)
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    this does sound like a stem length, spacer height and bar width issue. - the stem length being shorter is the cheapest and quickest fix for around £30 - I'd try that first, before jumping for a bike fit
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    ILM Zero7 wrote:
    this does sound like a stem length, spacer height and bar width issue. - the stem length being shorter is the cheapest and quickest fix for around £30 - I'd try that first, before jumping for a bike fit

yes, but if it's not due to stem length, then that's £30 wasted. it might just need he stem flipping over and putting some spacers under the stem. but we don't know what he's got and if he is able to do that.

Similarly for recommending tilting the saddle up, we don't know what angle the saddle is now.

the op needs someone with experience to see him on the bike, he could post photo's here and get some suggestions, but a bike fit or someone watching him 'in the flesh' would be the best option.

his bike setup could be all up the spout, from saddle height to stem length, or it may be spot on and he needs to get used to it.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • DonutDad
    DonutDad Posts: 104
    Is the bike still new enough to take it back to the bike shop and ask them to adjust things a bit and give advice?
    When I bought mine, they adjusted a few things for me whilst I rode it on a turbo, then sent me off for a few weeks, then when I came back for my complimentary first service they asked me how it was and if I had any issues and looked at me again on the bike. Couple more tweaks and I'm now very happy with it.

All part of the service of buying a new bike. It was nothing scientific, but then, it was also free. Worth asking?
  • Yes, I haven't taken it for the first service yet, and the shop promised to take a look at the fit. Hopefully, by then I'll know what needs fixing and what I just need to adjust to.

Stretching the neck while riding seems like a good idea, got to remember that tomorrow.