chain confusion

dave25
dave25 Posts: 11
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
As I have started venturing out further from home, I've began worrying about and trying to solve any problems that could go wrong.

My main worry is my chain snapping, and being stuck miles from home.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/kmc-78-speed-chain-links/

This apparently fits my bike chain, so am I right in thinking that aslong as I have a spare one of these, and my chain snaps, all I have to do is clip this together around the original break, with no need for any tools or anything else?

I've looked at loadsa stuff online about it, but am totally baffled!

Comments

• nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    I think that this is for a 7/8 speed set-up if I have read the packaging correctly, so it may or may not suit your needs depending on current groupset. Always worth carrying a small chain tool/link remover perhaps too because you may have to remove a link to be able to fit the connector if your chain does not snap conveniently to leave the two correct ends exposed (male links I believe).
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,159
    ^^^this

you need the correct re-usable link for your chain

a chain tool (some pocket multitools include one, that is the simplest way to have all the likely tools handy)

sometimes it can be handy to have a short piece of spare chain, just a few links, and two re-usable links, then you can replace a short mangled section, but unless you are away for a few days with no easy way to get a new chain it's overkill - if you need to shorten the chain due to damage, you can always stick on the small ring to ensure there's enough slack in the system
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • dave25
    dave25 Posts: 11
    Thanks for the reply, I think my bike is an 8 speed,

So you would recommend a chain tool as well to take? Cheers, ill get on to it!
  • rpd_steve
    rpd_steve Posts: 361
    You will need a chain tool to in 50% of cases. The chain repair links are a pair of outer plates, so need 2 inner links to connect to. If the chain has broken in such a way as there is an outer link on one of the ends then you will need a chain tool too to brake it at the correct place.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    A cheap one is good enough for breaking a chain / repair using a quick link. You only need a good one if you are trying to replace pins.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • rpd_steve
    rpd_steve Posts: 361
    I always carry a small multi-tool anyway which has one on. Well worth it if you have not got one and then you wont need a seperate one as mentioned above.