Car hire recommendations

markos1963
markos1963 Posts: 3,724
edited May 2012 in The bottom bracket
Looking for car hire in Spain, fed up with looking at dodgy looking broker sites, any recommendations/links to reasonably priced companies.

Comments

• sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    I have always used Sixt in Spain, good rates and good for including additional drivers etc.

I've always been wary about going thru brokers meself, prefer to book direct with the hire company.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    I've usually used Holiday Autos when I've been abroad, most often in Greece.

I think I used them when I went to Spain, but it was some time ago. If I remember right, they (HA) often use a third party's cars and I think this was the case in spain. (just looked back through my emails and found this was so, company was Auriga Crown).

With Holiday Autos, the insurance is included in the price, but this is reflected in the higher prices.

If you pick up a car from Malaga, they come with a full tank of petrol which you pay for on collection, you then bring it back empty. Some people feel that this is a con, and I've seen comments on a forum to the effect "who uses a full tank of fuel on holiday?". This mystified me somewhat, if you DON'T use a full tank in two weeks then why the hell hire a car? as taxis would probably work out cheaper. I think we refilled ours about three times!

The older I get, the better I was.

• vitesse169
    vitesse169 Posts: 422
    I use rentalcars.com they used to be carhire3000.com its like a car hire search engine, they will find the best deal. I've used them for a few years now.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    vitesse169 wrote:
    I use rentalcars.com they used to be carhire3000.com its like a car hire search engine, they will find the best deal. I've used them for a few years now.
    Good to know. I took a gamble on booking a car for Mallorca (wife visits after a week cycling with the guys).
    They were a load cheaper than the big names.
    Will report back in 3 weeks.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • vitesse169
    vitesse169 Posts: 422
    daviesee wrote:
    vitesse169 wrote:
    Good to know. I took a gamble on booking a car for Mallorca (wife visits after a week cycling with the guys).
    They were a load cheaper than the big names.
    Will report back in 3 weeks.

We're going to Majorca on 23/4 to 30/4 - staying in El Arenal, Hotel San Diego. Can't wait for some sunny cycling....!
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    vitesse169 wrote:
    Used them in Kephalonia lasy year, problem free.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Report:-

I used rentalcars.com to hire a car at Palma Airport for a week.
    Focus (or similar) for 83 quid all in for a week sounded too good to be true.
    And it was.... but still a bargain.

First up, you don't get your car in the main arrivals area, you have to get a shuttle bus out of the airport. I dare say that this cuts their costs, and ultimately yours. When I went, this was a good thing as the queues in the airport were huge whereas I simply boarded a bus, completed paperwork and was on my way :P
    On returning the car there was some paperwork delays for people picking up cars but still less than in the airport. I suppose it depends on flight times and demand.
    The car I got was not a Focus. It was a Hyundai i30. Good enough but be aware that 80% of the available cars were diesel Hyundais.
    Now the sting.
    You get charged for a full tank of diesel (about the same cost as hiring the car :evil: ) and you do not get any refund on returning. Use it or lose it. I had a return trip to Port Pollensa and 3 day trips (on some roads that were not fuel efficient) and only used 1/2 tank.
    You will also be asked to pay for premium insurance. I decided to play safe and take it. The other side of the coin is that if you don't, you will be asked to put a 400 Euro bond on your credit card in case of damage and your car will be thouroughly inspected on return. The choice is yours.
    Total charge for me was around 200 Pound for car, deisel and premium insurance.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    I always used to use holiday autos in Europe.

Now I'm gonna cycle to Spain!

no big deal really, only 110k!
    my isetta is a 300cc bike