MTB Newbie

martyn3000
martyn3000 Posts: 5
edited April 2012 in MTB beginners
Hi all,

I have recently decided to get into mountain biking, both for fun and to improve my fitness. I have just purchased a second hand GT Aggressor XCR, for what I think was a fair price. I know it is probably over kill for me at the moment, but I thought it was better to get something decent now, than have to spend more money buying another bike when my skills improve. That, and the fact it was to good to refuse.

I went on a quick 4 mile jaunt yesterday, partly roads and partly fields. The bike seems to ride well, my only concern is there seems to be constant contact from the pads on the front disc... The rear wheel seems to spin freely, but when I spin the front, there is definite resistance. Is there any way of loosening the pads?

Any help or advice appreciated.
GT Aggressor XCR

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Is it on both sides, looking down the gap should tell you if it's one or both sides. If one, then realign the calliper by loosening the mounting bolts and adjusting. If its both sides binding youll need to tell us wha the brakes are for more advice.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just ride a bit, do some heavy braking and chances are they'll settle themselves. (lazy method)
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Thanks guys, I'll take a look tonight. I know the brakes fitted are Avid Juicy 3's.
    GT Aggressor XCR
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    If its juicy threes, you probably have a sticky piston on one side (its common).... How technically minded are you? ;)
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • I changed the brake pads on my Peugeot 205 a few years ago... With instructions I should be able to manage.
    GT Aggressor XCR
  • Have a look on you tube ...... they have loads of how to do it/fix it videos which are a great help to the cack handed !!!

try this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt3XRYiF ... re=related
    Stop ... Stop .... there's something wrong with the bike !!!
    reality: I'm shagged and I need a break
  • Will give that a go, thanks.

PS. Love the mutton chops!
    GT Aggressor XCR
  • irvs
    irvs Posts: 204
    Is the front wheel secured with one of those quick release things? It could be that the release is just tightened up too much this was the case on mine.

Neil
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Irvs wrote:
    Is the front wheel secured with one of those quick release things? It could be that the release is just tightened up too much this was the case on mine.

Neil
    Ignore this.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Just cured some annoying pad/rotor rubbing after putting on a new wheel.

loosen calliper bolts, pull brake lever, tighten bolts (with lever still pulled)
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8