Pedal On, Berkshire.

p9uma
p9uma Posts: 565
edited April 2012 in The bottom bracket
What what a fantastic shop, loads of bikes, well laid out, lots of gear, friendly helpfully knowledgable staff who encourage test rides and a coffee bar.

I test rode four bikes there on a planned one mile route, which I did twice on each bike, each time I got back there was another bike ready, which I had previously expressed an interest in. The salesman was engaging, interesting, helpful and knew his stuff. I don't think I have have ever had such a good expereince in a bike shop, or any other shop for that matter.

I rode two Cannondales and two Treks that are within my budget, all of them lovely bikes, really nice. Trouble is now I can't make up my mind which one I want.

If you are within 100 miles of Tadley, in-between Reading and Newbury Pedal On is well worth a visit.
Trek Madone 3.5
Whyte Coniston
1970 Dawes Kingpin

Comments

• upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    I have also heard good things about this shop as some colleague's live near it and are always giving it praise.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • I couldn't agree more, bought my bike (Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105) from them last year. I live five minutes down the road and was really pleased to be able to use a local shop and get all the benefits (knowledgeable staff,properly fitted and free service after a couple of months) as well as having a really good choice of bikes with finance options available. They also do a reward points scheme that gets you a surprising amount of free stuff, I got a rain jacket, pair of bottle cages, 6 spare inner-tubes, multi-tool and summer mitts :D I'll definitely buy from them again once I've explained the N+1 rule to my wife.....
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    I have bought online from them a couple of times, very fast turnaround, received order within three days, reasonable postage to Portugal, £4.99, the last package turned up with at least £4 of real stamps on it, un franked, sent them to a friend in the UK.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    They're pretty good, but you've got a 50/50 chance of getting a miserable bu66er or someone who's friendly. There's a few good guys there who are willing to have a chat, but generally I find that once they've got your cash or if you're just browsing, most of them don't want to know you.

Maybe it's just me ? :lol:

I still buy stuff from them, but that's because they're local and have a reasonably good range of stock, but nothing endears them to me. If there was another decent LBS, I'd go there.

To be fair to them though, I bought my Trek from them in 2009 and got good test ride and load of goodies free.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • p9uma
    geoffgomez wrote:
    I couldn't agree more, bought my bike (Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105) from them last year. I live five minutes down the road and was really pleased to be able to use a local shop and get all the benefits (knowledgeable staff,properly fitted and free service after a couple of months) as well as having a really good choice of bikes with finance options available. They also do a reward points scheme that gets you a surprising amount of free stuff, I got a rain jacket, pair of bottle cages, 6 spare inner-tubes, multi-tool and summer mitts :D I'll definitely buy from them again once I've explained the N+1 rule to my wife.....

Nice haul of stuff there, including the bike.

Re: N+1 Rule. Get the Enemy (wife) into cycling. My wife has as many bikes as I do and a motorbike.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • p9uma wrote:
    geoffgomez wrote:
    I couldn't agree more, bought my bike (Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105) from them last year. I live five minutes down the road and was really pleased to be able to use a local shop and get all the benefits (knowledgeable staff,properly fitted and free service after a couple of months) as well as having a really good choice of bikes with finance options available. They also do a reward points scheme that gets you a surprising amount of free stuff, I got a rain jacket, pair of bottle cages, 6 spare inner-tubes, multi-tool and summer mitts :D I'll definitely buy from them again once I've explained the N+1 rule to my wife.....

Re: N+1 Rule. Get the Enemy (wife) into cycling. My wife has as many bikes as I do and a motorbike.

Trying that route, but the worry is, if she gets too interested she'll know what things cost and do the sums on what I've already bought :shock:
  • p9uma
    geoffgomez wrote:
    p9uma wrote:
    geoffgomez wrote:

Trying that route, but the worry is, if she gets too interested she'll know what things cost and do the sums on what I've already bought :shock:

I feel your pain.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin