dont seem to be having much luck with tyres at the moment

danlightbulb
danlightbulb Posts: 701
edited April 2012 in MTB general
Aarrrgghhh!!!!

Brand new inner tube been on the bike 1 week now i seem to have a slow puncture for no reason at all. Was fine over Cannock 1 week ago, went on a short canal ride yesterday and today noticed tyre down to 15 psi. No obvious tyre damage, no protruding objects, no holes.

Do inner tubes just fail, or come faulty from manufacturer? Its a halfords one.

Comments

• Bikehawk
    Bikehawk Posts: 102
    I know it's pretty obvious but have you checked that isn't anything in either the tyre or the rim tape. Once had a similar problem which turned out to a bit of something that had gotten wedged in the rim tape. The hole in the tube should indicate rouhly where the problem is.
  • Ye now i've got to take the whole lot off again and i'm supposed to be going on a ride straight after work tomorrow, now got to faff around with it. I only changed it in my living room can't think how anything could have gotten inside.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Faffing around is part of the deal
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Tubeless is the solution to all problems in life.... sits down and grabs popcorn.
  • cooldad
    I believe that you can fill tyres with popcorn - no punctures and no faffing with sealant.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    I believe that you can fill tyres with popcorn - no punctures and no faffing with sealant.

Genius!! :D
  • S-M
    S-M Posts: 174
    I was out on sunday on a club ride and managed to get 3!!! thorns stuck in my rear tyre :lol:

I`m currently running tubes with Specialized Airlock sealant inside, sealed everything up a treat and let me finish the ride without bothering with it, although i did lose a little pressure.

Yesterday i checked the bike over as i`m back to work tomorrow after easter hols, and i pulled all 3 thorns out with some needle pliers, the sealant just plugged all the holes up, no problem.

Double checked it today and its still up, i only ever converted to ghetto in the past to help with punctures, so i doubt i will go back to ghetto now, will continue to use sealant inside my tubes.
    1999 Specialized FSR Elite MAX Backbone.
    1998 Specialized FSR Ground Control - stripped for parts.
    2011 Boardman Pro HT - SOLD! (low quality, expensive garbage)
  • So i changed my inner tube.

At first I noticed that the area around the valve stem had marks in it where the rim hole has cut into the valve stem, so I thought it was this that was leaking, however when I dipped the tube into my sink there was a tiny hole on the top of the tube (outer side). It was hardly anything, a tiny bubble emerged every 5 seconds or so.

So obviously it was a puncture, but what I want to know is, is it just a coincidence that I get a puncture with brand new inner tubes and brand new tyres within a week of fitting them? I rode on my old tyres and inner tubes (which came with the bike - standard decathlon) for 3 months without getting a puncture, and I fit halfords inner tubes and what I thought were better tyres (continental) and i get a puncture.

Thanks
  • cooldad
    Coincidence, take the tinfoil hat off.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • apple eater
    apple eater Posts: 302
    for what it's worth, you say there are marks on the valve stem where the wheel seems to have marked it.

I have an issue at the moment where the inner tubes are rotating inside the tyre and ultimately tears at the base of the valve stem.

I've asked but no one knows?

Is this where yours has gone?
    I don't know enough to make smart r's remarks about peoples choice of parts 'n' things, yet!
  • There are marks on the valve stem, but this wasn't the cause of my leak.

I am considering getting presta valves, as they are metal and have that locking nut so it should be stronger, but my pump is for shroder valves. I was wondering if there was a little gromit you can buy which fits round the rim hole.
  • apple eater
    apple eater Posts: 302
    Yes there is a fitting that can be used to adapt he pump, i had one that came with a cheap multi use hand pump.
    I don't know enough to make smart r's remarks about peoples choice of parts 'n' things, yet!
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    There are marks on the valve stem, but this wasn't the cause of my leak.

I am considering getting presta valves, as they are metal and have that locking nut so it should be stronger, but my pump is for shroder valves. I was wondering if there was a little gromit you can buy which fits round the rim hole.
    Schrader are also metal valves, and are actually stronger in my opinion.