Windows XP :fail: :banghead:

symo
symo Posts: 1,743
edited April 2012 in Commuting chat
OK,

The GF's old Dell PC is coming up with the a message saying that the

windows\system32\config\system

file is either corrupt or missing and that she should enter recovery mode by pressing r at the first screen using her original installation disk.

I asked "Have created a recovery disk?" to which the reply was somewhat vitriolic. Apparently the disk was another amount of money which she didn't have at the time of purchase, and didn't know she could create a recovery disk.

I know bog all about PC's so if anyone knows how to create a recovery disk for XP or point me to where I can download an image from MS (their website bangs on about floppies! Can you still buy those?) for a CD?
+++++++++++++++++++++
we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.

Comments

• Look here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 25f684e30c

And in the link in the answer, change the number to 270018.

Good luck.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • symo
    Thanks Mr66,

Will give that a go and let you know (have to go abroad tonight but back tomorrow eve).

Symo
    +++++++++++++++++++++

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • symo
    Well managed to get it to chkdsk (via some BIOS changes) and chkdsk /r?

Do I now run setup? Will this wipe the HDD?
    +++++++++++++++++++++

• It shouldn't. The recovery cd should give you the option to repair your XP installation.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A