Im in the right forum (bought some tub wheels)

ricey155
ricey155 Posts: 233
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
Holy god im in trouble just purchased some new carbon 50's and glue in tubes

like everything you buy on impulse i looked at how to install them after id done the deal, how stupid its looks a decent long winded job especially if the conti video on youtube is anything to go by :mrgreen:

anyone else had the feeling they should have stayed clinchers rather than tubular after they pressed the buy button ??

Comments

• rpd_steve
    rpd_steve Posts: 361
    The 1st time you apply the glue, strech the tyre, center it etc you will think its a mission, then mistrust the glue when you first corner at speed... But I'd say I can do a tub in under 5 mins no issues now. (Excluding cleaning off old glue). Also the 2nd ride you do where your no longer worrying about the tyre rolling of you will relise how good the ride is!

-Inflate tub slightly, strech onto rim inflate to 130psi and leave on foe 30 mins to strech (only with new tubs, also good to do with spairs to make fitting easy)
    -Apply glue to rim and spread with finger/toothbrush
    -Let set
    -Apply softly inflated tyre from the valve trying to put it onto the glue as centerally as possible
    -Work round the tyre to center the base tape on the rim as accurately as you can
    -Inflate to full pressure and leave for a couple of hours/overnight.

If you need to remove just let it down soft and rock the tyre with your thumbs and work your way round. You can pop a spair on the old glue and it will hold up ok to get home just dont go mad trying to corner at 30 mph. It takes a suprising amount of force to roll of even an unglued tub.

You'll lear to love em. Until you flat a latex tubed tub, and need to rreplace a £70 tub and not a £7 tube... But they flat less so hey ho.
  • ricey155
    Cheers Steve

im looking forward to a new challenge, should be fun hopefully not stressful :D starting with 22mm Conti gator skins see how i go, my go lighter if i get success

can't wait wheels should be here today/2morro
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Go and buy some tub tape ( Jantex is pretty good) far simpler and quicker.
  • ricey155
    arrived today along with new gatorskins, on eis currently being stretched and the other has been pre glued curing for 24hrs

can't wait to ride them, they feel so light, tyres stretched easier than i thought with the youtube guide :mrgreen:

glue sets so fast

2 more sleeps till ride time :shock: