New tyres wet roads?

wishitwasallflat
wishitwasallflat Posts: 2,927
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
Hi - after much heartache and negotiation with the missus just got a set of Vittoria Open Corsa Pave as upgrade to the Spesh All Conditions tyres on my Sectuer :D . Looks like first chance I will get to try them is Wed am and the forecast is for wet roads. I have read 3-4 seperate posts (at least) about people falling when riding new tyres on wet roads (I think most may have been last autumn though so maybe it's wet leaves that are the problem?). I am dead keen to try them but cannot afford to take any risks of injury (kids, job etc etc) - so

Should I fit them and ride but take it easy on any wet corners?
Wait and fit them only when I can do first ride (first few rides?) on dry roads (may take some time given the forecasts!)?
or
Just fit them and ride and don't worry?

Any advice much appreciated.

Comments

• t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Should be fine. Just take it easy to allow any release agents and stuff to rub/wash off.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I'd take care.
    I went out in wet conditions last year on a new set of Vittoria corsa evo cx, i had to turn round after a few miles because it was like riding on ice. It was the first time that something like that has happened, but it may have been the only time that i've been out on new tyres in the wet.
  • ricey155
    ricey155 Posts: 233
    i agree take care i bought some new boots end of Feb and nearly piled my old bike 4 miles in entering a mini roundabout

soon as id done 50 miles they felt more planted and i gave them a good clean with rubber cleaner (car cleaning product)
  • rpd_steve
    rpd_steve Posts: 361
    Give them a 2 minute rub down with 180 grit sand paper and then a wipe over with nail polish remover. New tyres ready to push like a pro...
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    If they seem a bit greasy (mould release agents etc) I usually give new tyres a quick wash with hot water and then a rub with a dry rag. Not had any problems so far.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Many thanks to all for the advice - much appreciated.
  • I did my first ride on my Open Paves in the rain after fitment and they where fine - like all tyres gave them a good scrub with hot soapy water to remove the most of the mould release compound. Did not find the Vittoria's to have that much of it all over them - Rubino Pro's where also the same when in comparison to the likes of Continental and Michelin.

The GP24's I have just fitted to another wheelset and Krylions seem to have a thick white layer of it from new, which I haven't seen on any of the Vittoria's.
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    Bozman wrote:
    I'd take care.
    I went out in wet conditions last year on a new set of Vittoria corsa evo cx, i had to turn round after a few miles because it was like riding on ice. It was the first time that something like that has happened, but it may have been the only time that i've been out on new tyres in the wet.

The Evo CXII's are spectacularly bad in wet conditions though. I've never ridden anything that compares (wonderful feel and fast as **** in the dry though)

OP - Open Pave's should be pretty much OK out of the box. That said I'd take it easy first time out because you will need some time to get used to the feel of them (just as you would with any change of tyre) and in the wet you don't want to get it wrong.
  • Bozman
    Bozman wrote:
    I'd take care.

The Evo CXII's are spectacularly bad in wet conditions though. I've never ridden anything that compares (wonderful feel and fast as **** in the dry though)

OP - Open Pave's should be pretty much OK out of the box. That said I'd take it easy first time out because you will need some time to get used to the feel of them (just as you would with any change of tyre) and in the wet you don't want to get it wrong.

I'd heard that rumour but i've never had an issue with grip in the wet, slush or dry, i think that it was purely down to the fact that they weren't scrubbed in.
  • Thanks again - will give them a scrub with hot water and a wipe and it's dry here today so with luck will get few miles on them today :D:D
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    "Bozman wrote:
    I'd heard that rumour but i've never had an issue with grip in the wet, slush or dry, i think that it was purely down to the fact that they weren't scrubbed in.

I'm surprised. I found them terrifying the couple of times I've been out on them in the wet. I'm not convinced enough to give them another trial mind :wink: .
  • Bozman
    "Bozman wrote:

I'm surprised. I found them terrifying the couple of times I've been out on them in the wet. I'm not convinced enough to give them another trial mind :wink: .
    [/quote]

Looking at the weather I know what's going to happen when i'm out on Thursday now.
  • Fitted these no bother today and managed a very nice (and safe!) 26 miles on them - there doesn't seem to be any indication on tyre, box or instructions to say they are directional but the little ridges on the shoulders face one way - make sme wonder are these supposed to be fitted in one direction, anyone know?

Oops sorry just found this on Wiggle Q&A
    These tyres do not have a directional tread so you should be fine with them facing either way.
  • The logo side of the tyre should be on the drive side for no reason other than aesthetically thats the way it should be !