My Reba lock out won't unlock

FOGcp
FOGcp Posts: 145
edited April 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
The lock out on my Reba SLs won't spring back automatically when you operate the remote lever. I thought it was the cable but taking it off made nodifference. You can move the cable mounting disc at the fork end by hand with some difficulty. I took the top damper column out and can see the spring inside but can't get to it or free it off. Any suggestions please?

Comments

• Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    Seems like a very common problem, in fact mine is doing at the moment! The spring inside the Motion Control damper isn't very strong so any dirt can stop it working, try cleaning and lubing under the blue compression dial although you'll probably need circlip pliers to do it properly. If that doesn't work you'll need to remove the damper unit using a 24mm socket and clean the whole thing up properly which will be a good chance to replace the suspension fluid.
  • FOGcp
    FOGcp Posts: 145
    I have removed the Motion Control rod and cleaned it up but it seems to have made no difference and you don't seem to be able to dismantle it further to get to the spring.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Common problem but you don't need to take anything apart! Just remove the cable and clean it all properly, dry it and re-install the cable. Should work like new. More crap SRAM design I'm affraid :(
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Sorry that was a bit vague. Don't clean the cable (well that can't hurt either!) but clean the whole top mechanism i.e. the blue bit that turns. You need something very thin to clean out the gunk underneath it. Then re-install cable
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8