What is Alan Davies for?

Vesterberg
Vesterberg Posts: 330
edited April 2012 in The bottom bracket
In an age where 'celebrities' are constantly maligned for doing nothing worthy of the exposure they enjoy, what has the ubiquitous Alan Davies done to deserve his?

He reminds me of a slightly annoying but harmless bloke with the eighties perm and lisp who's always propping up the bar in a local pub. He certainly isn't funny. He's not a very good actor. So why is he a perma guest on every 'funny' panel game on TV and Radio?

It beats me it really does.

Comments

• nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    Yeah he is funny
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    It's not as though there aren't thousands of celebs far more worthy of picking on than poor amiable Alan!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Vesterberg
    yeah but 'amiable' should not equal wall to wall coverage
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Alan Davies basher - scouser?
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    he's due to play the empire soon - haha - have you seen his article in the times trying to backtrack making out that HE is a victim of hillsborough too- he was talentless, is talentless and will remain so.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Vesterberg
    Bozman wrote:
    nope.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Vesterberg wrote:
    Bozman wrote:
    nope.

Now that's settled i'll take the post seriously.
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    Vesterberg wrote:
    In an age where 'celebrities' are constantly maligned for doing nothing worthy of the exposure they enjoy, what has the ubiquitous Alan Davies done to deserve his?

He reminds me of a slightly annoying but harmless bloke with the eighties perm and lisp who's always propping up the bar in a local pub. He certainly isn't funny. He's not a very good actor. So why is he a perma guest on every 'funny' panel game on TV and Radio?

Couldn't agree more, what does he actually do to deserve the exposure he gets? Not funny at all IMO.
  • DrKJM
    DrKJM Posts: 271
    Well, you could argue that he makes a good foil for the likes of Stephen Fry. It's not his fault if he has a good agent that the BBC seem unable to say no to. But in an age where people are famous for being crap on a talent show, having a pop at someone who has worked to get what he has got seems churlish. There are plenty of people I don't like, but I don't necessarily resent their success. Except for Frankie Boyle, who is the epitome of an oxygen thief.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    elephant.png
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Vesterberg wrote:

He used to do stand up -> and was successful
    He's also acted in many different things -> and has been successful at that too.

I don't know why you are questioning whether he deserves his 'fame'? (even though he's not really famous, he's just a TV personality).. are you going to start hating all comedians/TV personalities?

although i must admit to hating certain TV personalities -> like Russell Howard. Or anyone that makes an appearance on mock the week. Has Alan Davis ever been on mock the week?
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    I like the bloke.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    meh

Jonathan Creek was 'OK' but I never enjoyed his standup.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    I like the bloke.

Don't agree with me Frank, its just not right. :D
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    He certainly isn't funny. He's not a very good actor. So why is he a perma guest on every 'funny' panel game on TV and Radio?

It beats me it really does

He's a nice bloke, people like him, so he is popular, so naturally he is on everything, not really something that should confound you.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    I think he's alright, sits in the middle of the good guy to wank spectrum.

• giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    An absolute to$$er in my mind, never funny and always irritating as hell. Problem is, he was the first imo in a long line of 'comedian's' who, I'm amazed they're even on TV there again, with tele standards going downhill anyway, hardly surprising. As for giving him his own series a few years ago, doesn't surprise me about the BBC. Sheer rubbish.
  • gmb
    gmb Posts: 456
    My mate Steve is a nice bloke and quite funny too.

He's never been on the telly at all. (He's bald).
    Trying Is The First Step Towards Failure

De Rosa Milanino :-
    http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78 ... -00148.jpg
  • p9uma
    p9uma Posts: 565
    Some comedians are like budget bikes. Budget bikes are built to a price point and if you are lucky offer good value, television comedians are used a lot on television because they are relative cheap to employ, if you are lucky you'll get a good one that's funny. In the case of Alan Davies, he is cheap. It is not without some considerable experience I express this opinion, which mine what I made up by myself with no help from anyone at all.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Alan Davies? Funny bloke, enjoyable, good in Jonathan Creek, managed to annoy the scousers last week with a perfectly valid opinion. Nothing wrong whatsoever with him.

Next.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    I like the bloke.

Don't agree with me Frank, its just not right. :D

Sorry LL, when I said I like the bloke what I really meant was I can't stand his guts. :lol:

I can't understand why the mis-understanding occured. :wink:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    CiB wrote:
    managed to annoy the scousers last week with a perfectly valid opinion.

He managed to annoy those who had lost loved ones at Hillsborough, many of whom were not from Liverpool with a fatuous comment that he and he alone knows the reality of grief and failed to see that the memorials to those lost at the event are an evocative way to pay tribute and to visibly maintain the campaign for justice. He is a f*cking arsehole and I for one look forward to him trying to squirm his way out of his ill thought out comments when he comes to play in Liverpool.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • LeicesterLad
    CiB wrote:

He managed to annoy those who had lost loved ones at Hillsborough, many of whom were not from Liverpool with a fatuous comment that he and he alone knows the reality of grief and failed to see that the memorials to those lost at the event are an evocative way to pay tribute and to visibly maintain the campaign for justice. He is a f*cking arsehole and I for one look forward to him trying to squirm his way out of his ill thought out comments when he comes to play in Liverpool.

Wow. Think this is the first time ive ever seen 'Angry Cleat'.

ps. I have no knowledge of these comments - just off to google it, then I may re-evaluate my opinion.

EDIT: just read all about it. I still like him. Think his view is fine, the way he worded that view probably not so well advised - We all make mistakes. The other comments he has made since regarding Grief also make perfect sense. And call's to 'Rape his wife' and 'P*ss on his mothers grave' for the scousers are a little (actually alot) OTT to say the least.
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Never got why such an uproar about what Alan Davis said last week. He pointed out the Semi's should go on regardless of the date. It's wrong for Livrerpool to kick up a fuss over this imo.

Yes what happened was grim and shame. Anyone effected will be having there memorials etc as they would every year. They don't have to go to the game. The opposition Liverpool were wern't to be effected.

Using the same logic Liverpool have with this date. Should ships be tailing on the annivesary of the Titanic? Should trains and buses be running due to <insert crash that cuases lots of needless deaths> at a certain partof track/road etc etc etc

I am rather indifferent to him. He has his moments and plays his part on shoes he appears. Plenty of other funny people around but his far far FAR from the worst on the screen at the moment.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    CiB wrote:

Quite. He managed to annoy some people, by asking a reasonable question - of all the tragedies to have been visited upon this country in living memory, why is this one the one that stands out? On that question, I agree with him. Like he said, pick any anniversary of a major catastrophe - and Hillsborough is up there with the worst of them - and the world goes on. Not dismissively, or contemptuous of the anniversary, but because human nature is that we move on. Moving on isn't forgetting, or ignoring, it's moving on from the intense grief at the time to a more reflective grief that time allows us to achieve. That to me is a perfectly reasonable stance to take, to question why Liverpool alone retain this 'stop all the clocks' position more than 20 years on.

It's not illegal to agree with him, and it's quite reasonable to disagree with him too. The ferocity of the disagreement is what surprises me.

This is the modern world though, where the greatest crime known to man is to cause offence. Nothing is worse than causing somebody to be put out by another's opinion. That's where we are now. Davies has an opinion that doesn't chime with some other people. And for that, he's public enemy number one in some eyes.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    He's Caroline Quentins fluffer.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    I can't see why there was all the fuss about what he said, it was a perfectly valid comment. Liverpool fans cannot claim the moral high ground over Hillsborough while the virtually ignore the anniversary of Heysel where their fans caused the deaths of 39 innocent people, or while they chant "Who's that lying on the runway" everytime they play Man United (who they mockingly refer to as "The Munichs).
  • LeicesterLad
    Smokin Joe wrote:
    I can't see why there was all the fuss about what he said, it was a perfectly valid comment. Liverpool fans cannot claim the moral high ground over Hillsborough while the virtually ignore the anniversary of Heysel where their fans caused the deaths of 39 innocent people, or while they chant "Who's that lying on the runway" everytime they play Man United (who they mockingly refer to as "The Munichs).

All of which is much worse than anything Alan Davies said, in fact I couldn't find an insult for looking really, it was just a badly worded observation.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Why pick on him when there's Samantha Holden!!!!???? :evil:
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."