Single chainring advice

trail jacker
trail jacker Posts: 844
edited April 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

I'm panning on converting my triple chainring to a single chainring, using a 34t ring (http://on-one.co.uk/i/q/CROOSS-34-SIL-I ... r_position) with a superstar seattube mounted guide (http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=475).

I was wondering if a short cage derailleur is essential or not? Seen it mentioned about it reducing the chance of chainsuck / chain loss on single ring setups, but was wondering if its essential or not?

Thanks.

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    The rule would be to go as short as you can get away with. On or just below the mechs limits. All you need to know with a single up front is big cog - small cog. So depending on block would be capacity of 17 (28) or 25 (36)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A short cage isn't crucial, but is preferable really, chain is more stable, slaps less and is less prone to coming off during back pedaling. Most guides work fine, but if you're using a bash, you only need an N-gear jump stop!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ok, I will see how I get on with my current derailleur and change it if its problematic. I wasnt planning on running a bashring, just the superstar guide. Is a bashring a good idea?
  • Chunkers1980
    It's a good idea if you ever 'bash' your ring (weigh up the costs and the benefits). I don't (or am very careful not to) so for me it's not a good idea.
  • Ah, I dont think I will bother, I very rarely catch my outer ring when I'm doing technical rocky stuff and since the single chainring will be smaller and closer to the frame I'm sure it will be fine! Thanks for all the advice everyone!
  • Actually while this thread is going, is it ok to run a single chainring setup with a ramped chainring, or is it best to use an unramped chainring?
  • Chunkers1980
    It is best to run unramped. But it's fine with the ramps
  • Cool, does it aid with chain retention?
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    If I was running 34 front and a 11/34 cassette could I run a short cage mech?

Sry for the hijack!
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    I run a Middleburn SS chainring on the front, so no ramps, and it's a noticeable improvement on the ramped on that it replaced. Obviously when the chain is running to the extremes of the block/cassette it is at quite an angle so the ramps and pins do like to do their best to help it off.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Chunkers1980
    1mancity2 wrote:
    If I was running 34 front and a 11/34 cassette could I run a short cage mech?

Sry for the hijack!

Your gap is 34-11=23 so a mech that can reach the 34t cog and will take slack of 23 and above.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I have run a ramped/pinned ring on a superstar top only guide, and I had chain retention issues when backpedaling (which was a good couple of times a ride). Changed to a SS specific ring, and that resolved the issue. Definitely worth doing. Also, just so you know, you can't run a bash with those top only guides.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5