Gravity Enduro - Distances

cat_with_no_tail
cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
edited April 2012 in MTB general
Out of curiosity, can anyone tell me roughly how long 1 stage of a gravity enduro event is?

Also, how long is the non-timed section in between sections.

Just wondering :p

Comments

• lochussie
    lochussie Posts: 276
    In my limited experience, maybe 2-10 mins. I've taken an hour between stages, pushing up anything steep by Sun afternoon, no rush.
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    From doing 3 of the Gravity Enduros so far (2 last year, 1 so far this year) the stages can be anything from 2-8 minutes and the transition times can be anything from about 20/30 minutes to an hour. You'll make the transitions no problem as long as you're not a stupidly fat, old biffer. You only need to keep spinning to make them. The transitions are being cut compared to last year but like I said, as long as you keep spinning away gently you'll be fine.

I hope to see you at a round or 2 this year. I'm at all 5! :D
  • I'd quite like to get to one later in the year if I can arrange it and they're not all sold out. I was asking more because I'd quite like to organize something similar over here. I checked last years results already, so figured on about 5-6min per stage (for an average rider), but as the transitions are not timed I wasn't sure how long to make them. 30min to an hour is perfect.

*Runs off to check his British cycling membership is still valid*
  • sanchez89
    sanchez89 Posts: 567
    From doing 3 of the Gravity Enduros so far (2 last year, 1 so far this year) the stages can be anything from 2-8 minutes and the transition times can be anything from about 20/30 minutes to an hour. You'll make the transitions no problem as long as you're not a stupidly fat, old biffer. You only need to keep spinning to make them. The transitions are being cut compared to last year but like I said, as long as you keep spinning away gently you'll be fine.

I hope to see you at a round or 2 this year. I'm at all 5! :D

ill see you at round 4 then. im really not sure what to expect. from reading about it i expected basically a timed downhill event for trail bikes.

then after watching the video from the Inners round it looks more like a XC event.

is it just a case of riding up to the start of the next run rather than pushing?

and is it constant riding, i.e climb then descend, climb again, descend etc. or is it climb to start of descent, get in queue, have a chat and drink, then blast down and repeat?
    2011 KHS Full Susser Carbon 29er Race Build
    Clank wrote:
    M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I believe the regulars prefer to call it "Gravduro" Probably because having two words takes up too much time.
  • sanchez89 wrote:
    then after watching the video from the Inners round it looks more like a XC event.

You got a link?
  • Slow Loris
    Slow Loris Posts: 128
    I'm not too sure about all this, "gravity" sounds a bit difficult. A whole 1N downward force? That's not normal!!1!
    2011 Genesis Latitude
    2009 GT Transeo 3.0
  • lochussie
    sanchez89 wrote:
    is it just a case of riding up to the start of the next run rather than pushing?

and is it constant riding, i.e climb then descend, climb again, descend etc. or is it climb to start of descent, get in queue, have a chat and drink, then blast down and repeat?

The timed stages are mostly downhill, ranging from trail centre to DH terrain, with some flat/uphill bits. The transitions are whatever is required to get between stages, but obviously a lot of uphill. You should be able to ride most of these.
  • sanchez89
    sanchez89 wrote:

You got a link?

linky for your viewing pleasure
    Clank wrote:
    M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.
  • sanchez89
    lochussie wrote:
    sanchez89 wrote:

The timed stages are mostly downhill, ranging from trail centre to DH terrain, with some flat/uphill bits. The transitions are whatever is required to get between stages, but obviously a lot of uphill. You should be able to ride most of these.

ok thanks. when you say DH terrain, i take it that includes jumps? hope there's a chicken run round the bigger stuff.
    Clank wrote:
  • sanchez89 wrote:
    sanchez89 wrote:

You got a link?

That.

Looks.

IMMENSE!!!
  • getonyourbike
    sanchez89 wrote:
    sanchez89 wrote:

You got a link?

That.

Looks.

IMMENSE!!!
    It was! :D
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    Slow Loris wrote:
    I'm not too sure about all this, "gravity" sounds a bit difficult. A whole 1N downward force? That's not normal!!1!

You're right its not normal, 1G would be normal.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    planning on doing the final round, looks epic and will be on familiar trails too :D might do the eastridge round too, bt its a lot of money to fork out!!
  • lawman wrote:
    planning on doing the final round, looks epic and will be on familiar trails too :D might do the eastridge round too, bt its a lot of money to fork out!!

Lawman, you camping or finding somewhere local to stay?

We should get a few people together again for a repeat of BRL. Get Gaz out with the Gazebo again. Go as Team liver 'n' lime racing.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    lawman wrote:

Lawman, you camping or finding somewhere local to stay?

We should get a few people together again for a repeat of BRL. Get Gaz out with the Gazebo again. Go as Team liver 'n' lime racing.

for the final round I'll probably stay in my uni house, as its like half an hour away by train, so I've got everything I need there, if I do the eastridge one I'll be camping. Liking the idea of forum team!
  • lochussie
    sanchez89 wrote:
    ok thanks. when you say DH terrain, i take it that includes jumps? hope there's a chicken run round the bigger stuff.

There should be no mandatory air, as it's meant to appeal to as many people as poss.
  • sanchez89
    lochussie wrote:
    sanchez89 wrote:

There should be no mandatory air, as it's meant to appeal to as many people as poss.

this is good.

really looking forward to it now. shame August is ages away!
    Clank wrote:
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    Does anyone know if Rd2 is sold out? Can't seem to enter on the BC website.
  • getonyourbike
    It sold out about 3 weeks ago.
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    Ah damn. Thanks GOYB.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    is there an easy way of finding out where and when the 'gravduros' are? I'm just trawling through britishcycling.org working out what races are what.

Edit-- I've come across the Fetish series. Is that pretty much it for gravenduros?
  • rhyko7
    rhyko7 Posts: 781
    Im doing the coed y brenin on my spicy, will be my 1st gravity enduro race and not sure what to expect, i have raced xc enduros and DH before so guessing its a mix of them both.
    The obvious and worst thing about the gravity enduro series is that its a complete rip off! hopefully another cheaper series will emerge in the next couple years, the gravity series in the alps only cost 30 euros to enter.
    Most DH races in the UK cost 30£ which includes a special track and an uplift-why a gravity race costs 60£ is beyond me, they claim its 2 full days of riding, yet it is on a trail centre that you can ride for free, they must be making a killing, yet there is no competition to drive the prices down :-(
    rant over now lets race
    Dont look at it-ride it! they are tools not f*cking ornaments

my riding:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rhyspect

Some of my Rides Data/maps:
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Users/527337
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    ok, looking to get two tickets for RD3 of the Fetish enduro at Hamsterly. Do you need any membership to the BC to ride these?