Sports gels for Sportives

NITR8s
NITR8s Posts: 688
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
Can any one recomend a decent, good value sports gel to take on long rides. Or any other engery/food source that your would recommend.

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Flapjack, soreen, bananas, fig rolls.

Take one gel for emergency use - they're too expensive and unnecessary as a primary source of fuel.

As for which gel - try them. You might not like some of them.
    More problems but still living....
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Gels are good & don't get me wrong as I use then when racing. Like everything in life they have plus points and negative points. On the plus side they are easy to carry, last a long time & are quite easy to take whilst on the move, the downside is they are expensive, the tastes can vary massively from one make to another and they tend to just add to the roadside litter as most people won't carry them after use as the can get a bit messy in the back pocket once used.

bananas, malt loaf and fig rolls do it for me as alternatives, or if I'm out on a longer ride can always find room for a couple of rice cakes with nutella or almond butter &/or jam spread sandwiched together.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    rice cakes with nutella or almond butter &/or jam spread sandwiched together.

#nomnomnom
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    I hate gels but use them as a last resort on rides longer than 60 miles near the end. I find anything by SIS gives me stomach cramps, Zipfit and Torq are ok for me. Much prefer to take normal food to eat on long rides and it's the same with drink. Too much sugary food/drink puts me off and I end up not eating and drinking.
  • SIS for me. Expensive but convenient. Can take a couple but the body wants real food after that.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Zipvit are my favourite like rocket fuel in a little packet and nice and gloopy
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Cliff bar Shot Blocks for me - all the energy but without the mess...

Only use them when racing or as an emergency energy boost though really, I use the cliff bars or just museli bars if I ve run out. Buy them in bulk off of the interweb...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    Shot Bloks user too. One packet is two gels, so buy two and you have a good amount for a sportive. Handy tip, cut the packet in half and stick them in your jersey pocket. No need for faffing around on the move.

I can also highly recommend High5 2:1 energy drink. I was very suspicious of the marketing blurb behind 2:1 but I've been using it regularly and it bloody works. Tastes amazing too.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Tend to use Zipvit myself, not cheap but they're bigger than most other gels - they're pretty minging though (very thick unlike Torq), you need to drink something pretty soon after taking one. Generally prefer to stick to solid food and energy drink though and just take them for emergencies but on a really long ride or where you know you've got a tough section ahead they can be a worthwhile boost.
  • NITR8s
    Thanks for the advice guys, I quite like the sound of the Cliff bar Shot Blocks. I am certain my misses will approve of the natural ingredients. I already use this ectrolite stuff you add to water to turn it into an electrolite drink, which I am happy with so dont need an energy drink.

Gonna order some shot blocks and try them out, anyone know the cheapest online store to buy them from.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    For really long hard rides I just take two bananas and half a packet of marzipan :D and two sis gels as reserve.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    NITR8s wrote:
    Thanks for the advice guys, I quite like the sound of the Cliff bar Shot Blocks. I am certain my misses will approve of the natural ingredients. I already use this ectrolite stuff you add to water to turn it into an electrolite drink, which I am happy with so dont need an energy drink.

Gonna order some shot blocks and try them out, anyone know the cheapest online store to buy them from.

Well it varies but the big two are usually pretty good...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • dandrew
    dandrew Posts: 175
    http://www.mulebar.com/
    ^^ These are great. Not keen on gels though. didn't Cav have to have major dental work due to decay caused by gels etc? They are bad for your teeth as the sugars stick to the teeth.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    ...and they tend to just add to the roadside litter as most people won't carry them after use as the can get a bit messy in the back pocket once used.
    This is why marshalls on events and fine upstanding members of the community should be armed, so that any riders who feel unable to cope with a slightly sticky empty gel packet and that the roadside will do as their personal bin can be picked off either by a sniper or a machine gun nest furtled away in a hedge. Take yer farking litter home with you.

How much effort is it to carry a waste bag, or to fold it over and stick in your pocket?
  • NITR8s
    After a more googling, I am thinking of trying jelly babies and Fig rolls.
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    Shot Bloks for me also.. and buying in bulk as stated above

Avoid the caffeine ones unless it's for the end of the event... The caffeine gives a really nice boost.. but you do get the usual dip after the initial boost.

Most Sportive's have food laid on... if they do, make the most of the food and hospitality rather than eating squashed Soreen or fig rolls :-)

As for people throwing Gel packets - I agree, snipers on lookout would get my vote.
    Any event that requires the need for gels should mean that your jersey ends up pretty grim anyway... so shoving sticky gel packets into one of your pockets is neither here or there ;)
    Simon
  • NITR8s
    What about use of stingers for litterers. Although the simple soloution would be for the marshall to write the number down of the litterer. Then when the finnish they are advised that they do not get their time/goodybad etc until they have walked the length of the course litter picking.