HoNC write-up

Cannon71
Cannon71 Posts: 92
edited April 2012 in XC and Enduro
Oh dear. Either I had a bad experience, or this wasn't worth the hype surrounding it.

The base was great (showers, changing rooms, proper toilets and good parking) and the start was fine but this course was more suited to a CX bike, not an MTB: it was at least 60% on-road!

Then at mile-27 (Naunton), everyone we could see in front of us as well as ourselves either missed the way-marker and went straight on (missing a whole 7miles or so, and a checkpoint :x ) or it didn't exist. Indeed, the marshall at the next checkpoint said only 2 riders that had come through had a fully stamped card.

Then at (my) mile-49 (just after the left-turn by the moto-x track) the signs really did disappear - there was confusion and bikers all over Cleeve Common.

I know this was only a 'reliability trial' but some people do want to do this as fast as they can and set a marker for next year. The way-markers are vital to this. (And please, no haters! We each ride for different reasons!) Next time, I'll either request the GPS-file (the website said it would be available but it never materialised) or ride with friends, take it easy and use the map.

The CRC-Enduro in Builth Wells was vastly better. It's safe to say I won't be going to the HoNC again.

On a positive note though, everyone involved were super-friendly! The marshalls, starters, finishing staff etc. Lots of smiles all round! :D

Comments

• antop34
    antop34 Posts: 62
    Why request the GPS file, a GPX file was sent to you in an email a week before?
    The marshalls did say that some morons had been removing the signs. They were tricky to spot and I was only going slow!
    The Cleeve Common markers must have been moved as by the time I was there it was marked by Shimano branded tape and was quite simple to follow. The MX guys there always move stuff and insist on ruining that area.
    I agree that the course was too much road, but the CX bikes began to really p#ss me off when it came to descents! A short travel hardtail would be perfect.