wheel upgrade

Wazza1878
Wazza1878 Posts: 59
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
Alright fellow forum poster's, looking to upgrade the standard wheels on my Bianchi when i get it at the end of the month. Looking at Fulcrum Racing 7 set as they're quite cheap and will me markedly better than the standard wheels on the bike. How much should i expect to pay i.e just the 'extra' /difference from the standard, as Evan's will be retaining the originals, or full price?
Thanks in advance
Wazza

Comments

• DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    I'd wait and get the fulcrum 5's...£170quid ish...job done.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Have a look at Epic Cycles website. They sell Bianchi bikes and are currently offering a La Squadra version of the Via Nirone. One of the upgrades is from Reparto Corsa wheels to Fulcrum 7. You might be able to calculate the difference when you compare the two. I have Fulcrum 7 wheels and they are good but possibly only a minor step up from the original equipment on the Bianchi. Might be worth haggling with Evans to step up to Fulcrum 5s or similar to achieve a more noticeable difference. Having said that, I wouldn't discourage you from the 7s, it all comes down to budget really and it's very easy to let it run away with you.

Cheers
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • Duffer65
    Duffer65 Posts: 341
    +1 on the Fulcrum Racing 5s, bought some recently and I'm very pleased.
    Where would you be if you fell down a hole?.. Stuck down a hole... in the fog... Stuck down a hole, in the fog, at night... WITH AN OWL!
  • CRAIGO5000
    CRAIGO5000 Posts: 697
    You'll find a big difference in bike handling and the ability to maintain higher speeds with as big a wheel weight loss as you can afford.

I really notice the difference in swapping out 2000g wheels for 1600g. There is a point of diminishing returns though and to get another 100g off the weight usually means spending hundreds more.

I went from some Alex Rims to Planet X AL30s for £125 and they are so much better. (barring the shite cartridge bearings they use)

Good luck with the wheel hunt!
    Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
    2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3