south wales trail centre tyre choice

mrmonkfinger
mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
Calling all afan, cwmcarn, fod riders...

I'm after a recommendation for damp/wet/all rounder for the usual south wales rock & water type conditions.

I'm thinking of some conti's with black chilli, are these a good call for the area?

Comments

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    this isn't a dig at you mate, but i've never understood the need to swap tyres?

i ride all the trail centres on whatever i have at the time. i have conti verticals on my full suss (which are great btw) and i have some very bald maxxis ignitors on my hardtail which i've ridden CC and FoD on in the last month.

so just go with whatever tyres you'd use normally is my opinion
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    Afan never gets too muddy so you're alright with a faster rolling tyre on the rear and I always use something big and grippy up front. I'm using UST Crossmark on the rear and Rubber Queen on the front.

in the past I have had major issues with gashed sidewalls on flimsier light weight tyres - a combination of me being a 14stone lump and not particularly flowing well through rocky sections + welsh slate.
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    Calling all afan, cwmcarn, fod riders...

I'm after a recommendation for damp/wet/all rounder for the usual south wales rock & water type conditions.

I'm thinking of some conti's with black chilli, are these a good call for the area?

and yes....very....
  • mrmonkfinger
    welshkev wrote:

Normally I wouldn't bother, but I'm practically riding slicks for fine weather (CG 4X/AM). I didn't have a lot of choice and hadn't done any research on them, when I bought them - they're fantastic in the dry but god awful in the mud & wet. So some decent all rounders will sort the rest of year for me.

In the past I've just had one pair of all rounders and made do.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    The new Schwalbe Hans Dampf in Trailstar seem a good all round choice. Big burly and grippy in most conditions. Heavier than some but that is no bad thing if you like riding rocks.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • welshkev
    welshkev wrote:

Normally I wouldn't bother, but I'm practically riding slicks for fine weather (CG 4X/AM). I didn't have a lot of choice and hadn't done any research on them, when I bought them - they're fantastic in the dry but god awful in the mud & wet. So some decent all rounders will sort the rest of year for me.

In the past I've just had one pair of all rounders and made do.

sorry mate, i didn't mean to appear rude, it just always baffles me :?

personally i'd go for conti verticals or maxis ignitors, but everyone has a different opnion :lol:
  • Tom Barton
    Tom Barton Posts: 516
    A grippier one up front and something quicker out back, the RQ/Crossmark combo has worked well for me too, afan has enough rocks to cause the odd pinch flat so generally run a decent pressure out back to avoid - generally they are thorn free trails.
  • black and round... not slicks though!

Currently have some nevegals that are working well in the dry viewtopic.php?f=40066&t=12848129

But i've ridden it with xc to dh tyres on with no issues... there is loads of grip!
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    I've been up and down Cwmcarn myself with 2.35" 60a ignitors front and rear and they were perfect for the trail. Ran them at about 35psi and had more than plenty of grip. More recently though I have changed the front Ignitor with a slightly slimmer 2.25" 60a Ardent. In contrast to what some of the guys here have said, having a slimmer directional tyre on the front I find works really well with the extra grip and width on the back for 'no slip' climbing.
  • mini-eggs
    mini-eggs Posts: 811
    I was at Afan on the weekend riding The Wall. I'm currently running Maxxis Ardent 2.25"

Its very dry there at the moment so a nice fast rolling tyre would be perfect.
    Follow me on....Google+
    Shop here....eBay Shop
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    2.35 Minion up front with a 2.35 high roller on the back is my default option for pretty much everything. The only time I change is if i'm riding in really HORRENDOUS conditions (in which case I might throw a swampthing on the front) or racing (swapping to Panaracer Fire XC Pro's if I can be bothered :lol: ) :D

Everyone has different opinions though and what they are prepared to compromise on!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    I rode Afan 2 weeks ago with a Nobby Nic on the front and a Racing Ralph on the rear.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    miss notax wrote:
    2.35 Minion up front with a 2.35 high roller on the back is my default option for pretty much everything.
    ^^^^ This

Only time I've been tempted for something else is in the clay slime of a wet Aston Hill, but then I'm not sure there's anything that will solve that problem. Still, been told wet rooty downhill then maybe swap to super tacky stuff for extra grip. Haven't tried. Wouldn't bother for welsh trail centres though.

Maybe I'd consider some kind of semi-slick for a gentle pootle trip in dry summer conditions that would involve fireroads, tow paths and/or disused railway stuff. Basically something that doesn't really require a mountain bike ;)
  • welshkev
    deadkenny wrote:
    miss notax wrote:
    2.35 Minion up front with a 2.35 high roller on the back is my default option for pretty much everything.
    ^^^^ This

;)

the thing is, i have that exact combo of tyres in my shed, they've been on once and are just overkill imho :?
  • welshkev wrote:
    deadkenny wrote:
    miss notax wrote:
    ^^^^ This

;)

the thing is, i have that exact combo of tyres in my shed, they've been on once and are just overkill imho :?

Wait till you see my tyres on Thursday Kev :lol::lol:
  • al2098
    al2098 Posts: 174
    Get some good all-rounders and you can't go wrong on trail centres.
    I run Conti's 2.4 and 2.2 (front and rear of course) and have no probs unless I go out to the forests and collect a puncture.
    If your doing long XC rides then they may not be for you.
    I would recon with the type of rider you are and then choose.
    If you race XC then go for the lightest option (obvious)
    DH then for the heavy tough choice (also)
    General all mountain riding in Australia then go for the dry weather tight packed fastest tyre..
    Wales.. and trail centres.. Good tread and grip in the wet is a good bet.
    I don't know anyone who is an@l enough to change tyres between dry and wet rides so don't fret too much about it! :wink:
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    Minion 2.35 super tacky up front and an ignitior on the back, massive overkill up front but can't be arsed to change it, it'll do. Won't by another one though for the trails in SW.
  • mrmonkfinger
    edited April 2012
  • welshkev
    welshkev wrote:
    deadkenny wrote:
    miss notax wrote:
    ^^^^ This

;)

Wait till you see my tyres on Thursday Kev :lol::lol:

i might put mine on now just to see how they go :lol: