SPD pedal trouble!

welsh_14
welsh_14 Posts: 259
edited April 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey everyone,

I have some Shimano SPD pedals (PD-M540/M520 not sure which) They have been a great set of pedals however recently they have been quite "sticky" while trying to unclip. I've tried putting lube on the springs etc to loosen them up but it doesnt seem to have helped. Has anyone got any ideas how I could get them back to how they were where it was easier to unclip or does it sound like new pedals will be needed?

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Would advise cleaning them very carefully with a toothbrush/screwdriver and a bit of Muc-Off. Make sure the springs are dry, lube them lightly then clip in-and-out a couple of dozen times to work the springs

cleats are OK?
  • welsh_14
    I'll give that a go cheers.
    The cleats have done quite a few miles, how would I be able to tell if they were worn?
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    If the cleats are worn they generally feel sloppy and you might unclip accidentally but its worth checking they are not clogged with dirt. From what you've said it sounds as though the springs in the pedals aren't moving properly.

BTW don't be tempted to remove the springs you will never see them again :)
  • welsh_14
    I'll bear that in mind. :lol:
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    £21 buys you a new pair with cleats of the 520s or about £35 for 540s
  • welsh_14
    Yeah I had a quick look to see, may well upgrade to XT if what .blitz suggested doesnt work.
    Also quite like the look of CB eggbeaters, what are peoples thoughts on them Vs XT ones? and are XT worth the extra?!
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Check the cleats aren't/haven't moved in the shoe. If not clean the pedals with a toothbrush them spray liberally with gt85 or similar. This. Normally loosens them up better than grease.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    XT are quite a bit extra over the 520s. Take the cleats off the prices and the 520s are less than a tenner and the XT more like 40 quid.

I really like Shimano - others don't. THe 540s even though older (than the 780s) are pretty similar in weight and about £15 pounds less..... Just need to workout how much you'd like to spend.
  • welsh_14
    Thanks Benpinnick I'm going to give that a go and fingers crossed it sorts it out.
    I'm happy to spend the extra if its worth it. However if there isn't a huge difference then I wonder whether its worth it...
    I really like Shimano as well but having never tried CB ones before I wonder if its worth giving them a go.