50 miles :) but sore sit bones

iandennis
iandennis Posts: 238
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
Dear All,

I need some advice please.

Over the past 4 weeks I've upped my weekend loop from 30 to 40 and now 50 miles. Bike is a Secteur Elite 2011 and following a bike fit it is very comfortable. However at 40/45 miles my sit bones were starting to have sensitive moments :) not too bad but I knew they were there.

I was using DHB bib shorts, I'm 98kg and think the pad might not be up to distance. Saddle is a Romin 130, have found this to be comfortable on 30 mile rides and well shaped to my backside.

So would a thicker pad help or is it a case of MTFU ?

Thanks

Comments

• Rigged
    Rigged Posts: 214
    Was a sit-bone measurement and a saddle matched to it part of your bike fit?

How much riding are you used to?

To a certain extent you'll get more used to being on a saddle with time but it won't get more comfortable indefinitely. Bike saddles are never going to be like sitting on a sofa but they certainly shouldn't be painful either. If the saddle fits you properly then better quality bib shorts may give you the relief you need. A 130mm saddle is fairly narrow though, so it may be if you weren't measured to match it then your weight isn't going through your sit bones and a wider saddle would make a noticeable difference.
  • iandennis
    iandennis Posts: 238
    Yes, sit bone measurement included.

Doing 24 miles a day commute 3 x a week.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    If you are anything like me you just won't get on with Spesh saddles and the sit bone pain will just get worse and worse. Get rid of the saddle is my advice, there are plenty others that don't torture the sit bones.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    its partly a case of MTFU - or acclimatisation but saddles are one of those things that take time to find (witness the saddle swap shop on the classifieds) Recommending a particular type of saddle to someone else is a bit of a futile task but once you find your fit then you're sorted.
  • Rigged
    Rigged Posts: 214
    iandennis wrote:
    Yes, sit bone measurement included.

Doing 24 miles a day commute 3 x a week.

In that case I'd say it's a case of trial and error with various saddle makes/models, a look at alternative bib-shorts and a small dose of MTFU.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    3 or 4 rides a week for three or four weeks is probably enough time to allow with rest days for periostitis (inflammation of the membrane surrounding a bone) to heal, and leave you pain free to cycle.

Stronger legs mean less weight is on the seated area.

Less weight overall will help reduce the pressure :oops:
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    You back side will probably toughen up.

But as a note of caution - don't be to macho -Ive just lost a year of cycling which started out with this sort of pain.