gels and races

jgsi
jgsi Posts: 5,062
edited April 2012 in Amateur race
To avoid a repitition of gel explosion over my top tube and shifters in yesterdays race despite pre cutting the tops, anyone got recommendation for a reuseable gel tube that can be filled up with a number of gel contents and is minimal fiddly to use as well... as you try to pick your time to eat summat but it's never the right time...

Comments

• jonesy65
    jonesy65 Posts: 6
    High 5 gel flask works well for me. See http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=17064
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    That is a neat product but I don't get what is difficult about gel sachets. Do you take your teeth out before a race?
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I can't open gels with my teeth, was watching other people yesterday doing it easily but I just doesn't work for me. I just end up hurting the corners of my mouth.

Odd really as I've got no problem opening beer bottles with my teeth.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • jgsi
    Tom Dean wrote:
    That is a neat product but I don't get what is difficult about gel sachets. Do you take your teeth out before a race?
    No it aint that.. I pre cut them anyways, but I needed 4 yesterday and after the last one, I realised that evrywhere was gunked up.. but it was probably more about being a good egg and not littering.. I just thought there must be a better way... obviously with no teeth you have better suction power!
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Why not just make a stronger energy drink for energy only, and have your other drink for hydration only?
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    JGSI wrote:
    Tom Dean wrote:
    No it aint that.. I pre cut them anyways, but I needed 4 yesterday and after the last one, I realised that evrywhere was gunked up.. but it was probably more about being a good egg and not littering.. I just thought there must be a better way... obviously with no teeth you have better suction power!

Do you mean you cut the tops off them before the race? No wonder it makes a mess! I've never found the tab difficult to remove, even in a race.
    More problems but still living....
  • jgsi
    No I just cut them more than they are already, but still sealed.
  • I don't like to litter with them. I am going to experiment taping them near the top of my water bottles. I figure (and will test), that I can tear off the top while my bottle is in the holder, then roll my thumb against the bottle and gel pack to empty it. That will leave no trash to deal with as I will have plenty of time to stow the tab and the empty gell pack will remain on the bottle. And it is all one handed action.

If you like that one, wait until you hear my idea to replace those crazy dangerous feed bags that the pros use!
  • joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,073
    That seems remarkably complicated, why not just learn to open them with your mouth, roll up from the bottom of the packet to get it all out, then put it back in your pocket?
  • jgsi
    Must be me then, always was a messy eater from birth, I'll live with it
  • maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    +1 on the gel flask. It fits easily in a jersey pocket, is hand-shaped, you can open it with your teeth then close it against your leg, stow it back in jersey pocket, all one-handed. Also you can water down the gels a bit if you like to make it flow easier.