Jockey Wheel Guide Plate Help

jerryfudd
jerryfudd Posts: 343
edited April 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I've seen this plate/guide called various things through Google searching but can't seem to find the answer to my question which is, as the chain passes through the jockey wheels should the chain be touching this plate? as mine is and I can't imagine its a good thing.... and if it shouldn't would adjusting the body screw so the mech hangs lower sort it out or another adjustment?

(btw its a Shimano SLX 9 speed long cage rear mech)

thanks!

Dan

Comments

• andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    I often get slight rubbing along the bottom of the plate, either side, and between the jockey wheels. Seems to happen when the chain is bouncing going over rough ground or you get a lot of mud and grit on the chain. it happens, I've never had a plate wear through and I've had rear mechs that lasted for a good three years or more.

I don't think the the 'b' screw has anything to do with it.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • Horton
    Horton Posts: 327
    I assume you mean it's hitting the little tab thing between the two parts of the cage. If so, it sounds like the chain is routed the wrong way - it shouldn't touch the plate and no amount of adjusting the mech will help - the chain should be behind the plate - i.e. chain sits outside the cage rather than inside...

Unless the chain is massively too long, I would guess you need to just split it and route it the right way round, but pics would confirm...

edit: if you mean it's hitting the plates either side of the jockey wheel, make sure the jockey wheels are free to float and that the indexing is ok - may just need to increase cable tension a 1/4 turn
  • jerryfudd
    jerryfudd Posts: 343
    Horton wrote:
    I assume you mean it's hitting the little tab thing between the two parts of the cage. If so, it sounds like the chain is routed the wrong way

:oops:

Need I say more? LOL!

thanks! :mrgreen: