Watch out for Addison Lee

2»

Comments

• Applespider
    Applespider Posts: 506
    Yeah I don't see why any taxis should be in BUS lanes. It's not really possible to exclude cyclists as if they weren't in the bus lane they would be stuck between buses passing on one side and cars on the other - extremely dangerous. The way things are going so far we may as well do away with bus lanes altogether, so far we have buses, taxis, minicabs, moped, scooters and cyclists in them, why not let all cars in and be done with it...?

Or why not get rid of all the motorised traffic in them and just make them lovely wide bike lanes. :lol:

I'd vote for getting rid of all cabs in bus lanes... and the moped/scooters riders too who whizz by without any awareness of how close they are.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    I've had just as many close calls and dodgy overtakes from black cabs as ALs. I couldn't give a flying chuff which of them use bus lanes providing they treat me with due respect.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    How about converting the black cab fleet to hybrid, scrapping the buses completely and issuing pensioners with a taxi buspass equivalent? The buslanes then become a resource to be allocated :-D
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    SimonAH wrote:
    How about converting the black cab fleet to hybrid, scrapping the buses completely and issuing pensioners with a taxi buspass equivalent? The buslanes then become a resource to be allocated :-D

can't speak for central but, out on the edge of the world (london!) Buses are fairly packed, not sure there are that many taxies, and if they where, would cause gridlock.

Looks like hybrid taxis can't be far off, if they could get better range from electric cars or at least hot swap batteries.

That would be a option, and for that sort of driving electric motors excel, Torque in the right place, max speed of say 40/50mph would hardly be a issue for most fares.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    SimonAH wrote:
    My parents are pensioners, but they live south of the river. What would they do?
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Sorry, people live south of the river? I thought it was just shellsuit factories down there?
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Yeah I don't see why any taxis should be in BUS lanes. It's not really possible to exclude cyclists as if they weren't in the bus lane they would be stuck between buses passing on one side and cars on the other - extremely dangerous. The way things are going so far we may as well do away with bus lanes altogether, so far we have buses, taxis, minicabs, moped, scooters and cyclists in them, why not let all cars in and be done with it...?

Or why not get rid of all the motorised traffic in them and just make them lovely wide bike lanes. :lol:

I'd vote for getting rid of all cabs in bus lanes... and the moped/scooters riders too who whizz by without any awareness of how close they are.

Definitely re mopeds and scooters, since they've been in bus lanes I've feared for my life, they whizz past at 40 odd mph and weave in and out. I got hit by an idiot on a scooter a few weeks back. He jumped a red light and as he came through took out my front wheel. Luckily he didn't hit me specifically, just hit the wheel and knocked me off, the impact was enough to buckle the wheel...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • richVSrich
    richVSrich Posts: 527
    SimonAH wrote:
    Sorry, people live south of the river? I thought it was just shellsuit factories down there?

OI!!

:P
  • veronese68
    SimonAH wrote:
    Say "can I come in your house" in a sarf London accent to an American girl and much hilarity ensues
    We have our uses. Although Wimbledon doesn't have quite the same accent old chap.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Veronese68 wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:
    Say "can I come in your house" in a sarf London accent to an American girl and much hilarity ensues
    We have our uses. Although Wimbledon doesn't have quite the same accent old chap.
    Ever noticed how Pete Sampras says (or at least used to say) Wimbledon?

The poor chap used to pronounce it Wimplton. Yanks, eh?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:
    Ever noticed how Pete Sampras says (or at least used to say) Wimbledon?

The poor chap used to pronounce it Wimplton. Yanks, eh?

Maybe he used to stay opposite the Ursuline Convent?
  • veronese68
    DrLex wrote:
    Maybe he used to stay opposite the Ursuline Convent?
    Mmmmm, happy memories.
    When I was at school word went around there was going to be a fight on the Common between girls from the Ursuline and Rickards Lodge High School for Girls. So, we went up to watch. Probably half of Wimbledon College went to watch, thats' about 750 boys. We did see a few girls, but they refused to fight each other.
    Kind of like this:
    fighting.png
  • DrLex
    Ha! I went out with few girls from Rickards as they were more fun than the Paulinas that we were encouraged to fraternize with.
  • veronese68
    DrLex wrote:
    Ha! I went out with few girls from Rickards as they were more game than the Paulinas that we were encouraged to fraternize with.
    Oh yes.
  • DrLex
    Veronese68 wrote:
    DrLex wrote:
    Ha! I went out with few girls from Rickards as they were more game than the Paulinas that we were encouraged to fraternize with.
    Oh yes.

Whilst there is a chance that my partner may stumble upon this thread, I couldn't possibly agree. :wink:
    On the other hand, I think my brother almost managed to "date" an entire form of Rickards girls (albeit not at the same time).
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    It will be Awesome. Premier League.