Cassette confusion (?)

neil_uk
neil_uk Posts: 289
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
I recently bought a second hand Giant road bike. It has a twin ring chain set, and the largest ring on the rear cassette is only 23 teeth. Coming from a mountain biking background - I'm finding this very high geared! I don't want to mess about changing the chainset as it's a shimano 105 that has seen very little use.

I'm wondering - can I replace the cassette with something bigger e.g. a 28toothed sora, or will that mean i also have to replace my rear mech which is also a 105 (with what looks like a very short cage), with a longer caged mech?

Any help would be really appreciated as roadie gearing is completely new to me!

Cheers guys!

Neil

Comments

• springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    I assume you have a 'Compact' chainset (50/34 teeth)?

You can fit cassettes from with Shimano or SRAM.
    http://www.sram.com/sram/road/products/ ... erm-id/148
    http://www.shimano.com/publish/content/ ... _road.html

SRAM generally have a larger range of 'cogs'. A personal preference is to go for an 12-26 (or 28) rather than starting at "11" - as you get tighter ratio's in the middle of the sprocket.

Looking at Shimano's webpage, it looks like you can run upto a 28T on the rear:

Hope that helps.
    Simon
  • neil_uk
    Brilliant, thanks for that! The other problem is - it's only seven speed - and that limits my choices quite a bit, and I don't want to go to great expense of replacing everything.

I'll have a hunt around online and see if i can find something like a 12-26!

Cheers mate
    Neil
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    Shimano Tiagra Cassette 7 Speed HG50 12-28
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=38302
    Simon
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    You're likely to be fine moving to the 12-28 above but you'll probably find that your chain is too short if you do (it's having to reach around a much larger circle on the granny gear).

I'd install the cassette and then take a look at a couple of YouTube vids (or the vids on the Park Tools website) on installing a new chain just to check if your rear derailleur is being stretched too far.
  • pdw
    pdw Posts: 315
    The link to the rear derailleur above is for a 10 speed. I think the older 7 speed may have a lower maximum sprocket size, but I'd be inclined to just try it before shelling out for a new rear mech.

As others have said make sure to check the chain length - it's quite likely to be too short, and that can cause damage if you ever select big-big.
  • neil_uk
    Brilliant - thanks for that Simon. I've ordered the cassette this morning.

Yeah, if I have to change the mech - so be it. I should be able to pick up something like a tiagra fairly cheap.

Thanks for all the help and advice guys - I'll let you know how it works!

Cheers
    Neil
  • Pickled Pig
    Pickled Pig Posts: 233
    @springtide9
    Thanks for the informative post - I have an ultegra 11-28 cassette and would find the 16 on the SRAM 12-28 cassette very useful. Is there any drop in shifting performance if I move to a SRAM cassette? I've always assumed that Shimano and SRAM used different chain architecture so that, even if they work together after a fashion, there is a drop in performance due to different ramps and tooth size on the cogs.
    Andy
  • neil_uk
    Good news! (sort of lol).

Fited the new cassette today.... the derailleur has no problem with clearance, and the extra few teeth have made a huge difference to the low gear! Very happy!

Next problem!
    As It's a new cassette - I fitted a new Connex chain (I always change chains when i fit a new cassette for obvious reasons). Now the problem is that the new chain links wont 'drop' into the new teeth... it's as though the chain links are too short and the new chain needs to stretch itself.

What it isn't is...... not a bent deraileur, or gear cable tension issue, as the deraileur is lining up perfectly. It's not the limit screws either, as again, everything is lined up bang on. The problem is worse on the smallest sprocket where the chain links seems too short to drop into the teeth cutouts - if that makes sense? It's as if the links need to be a couple of hundreths of a mm longer.

Any idea what can cause this?? or does the new chain just need to bed in? did I buy the wrong chain?

This one has me totally baffled!

Thanks again,
    Neil
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Is it definately a 7/8 speed chain you've put on? A 9 or 10 speed chain is slightly narrower guage which might cause your issue?
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • neil_uk
    Ermmmm.... I hope so lol! am i right in thinking 7 and 8 speed chains are the same??

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/wippermann-conn ... eed-chain/ that's the one i bought.

Cheers
    Neil
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    yes 7 & 8 same size so that should fit your cassette. Seems odd that it doesn't.

Does chain look different to the old chain? or does cassette look different to old cassette.

Also does it fit on the chain rings fine - if so maybe the cassette is the issue and not the chain.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • neil_uk
    Yeah, the chain fits on the chain rings ok, but that could be due to the fact that the rings have a bigger arc, like the larger sprockets... And, yes - everything looks the same.

I tried putting my old 9 speed chain on from my mountain bike, and that seems to sit in the teeth no problem ?!?!?!?!

hmmmm!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    you sure it's a 7 speed cassette?
  • neil_uk
    LOL - yeah - that crossed my mind as well for a moment... But, yes, it's definitely a 7 speed tiagra HG50 cassette.