chain wear

danlightbulb
danlightbulb Posts: 701
edited April 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I used my chain checker tool today, which I only had last week.

Its indicating the 0.75 position, and the measuring tape also confirms 1/16th of an inch stretch.

Thing is, bike is only 4 months old, and only been out on it about 8-10 times. Mostly Cannock Chase, total maybe 100 miles. So should I expect my chain to last a bit longer than this, and should I be asking the shop for a replacement under guarantee?

Thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Mine last a year or so of regular all condition riding. But I don't bother checking it, I replace it when it is fubared.
    I have doubts whether you'll get a replacement under guarantee - it's worn not broken.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • My friend at work said if you run a chain past the .75 position it will destroy all the cogs, and he reckons he gets several thousand miles out of a chain. He's not lying either he's cycling mad, not MTB (road), but still.
  • cooldad
    It will cause more wear - I wouldn't say destroy, but the cassette will wear with the chain. My solution is cheap (KMC) chains and cheap cassettes. Which generally last longer than expensive ones but are a bit heavier.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • So do you think I should just leave it a while? I don't know what brand the chain or cassette is, the rear mech is a shimano altus 8 speed. The chain has a removable link in it.

Will any brand of 8 speed chain fit? I've never fitted a chain before.
  • cooldad
    Any 8 speed chain will fit. IMO KMC are the best, and come with a masterlink.I use their cheap ones - very strong.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Thanks. Something like this: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=25424. Dont know if it comes with a master link tho.

I'll need master link pliers, and a chain breaker tool...correct?

Thanks
  • cooldad
    That would be fine, or go cheap (but the silver one is nice.)
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-KMC-Z51-6 ... 3f1635f61a

I've never had one without a masterlink, even if they don't say

You need a chain tool to shorten the chain, but the links are easy enough to take off with your fingers.

ps 6, 7 and 8 speed chains are all the same size.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • I'm looking at the chain breaker tools on chain reaction, and alot of the reviews are saying that KMC chains are really tough to break and its breaking the pins on the tools. Now I don't know what to do or which tool to buy...
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    the thing is, a new chain measures 0.5% new. I go through 2-3 chains in a year on my mtb (800-1000km each. much much longer on the road bike, (3000km plus)
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • cooldad
    I use one of these - haven't managed to bend a pin yet, but if you do you can get spares for a few £s. (Works better than the big one in my toolbox, which I have managed to bend.
    http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/38 ... -tool.html

And tiny enough to carry around without noticing it.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    The Park Tool cooldad links to pushes out pins so easily you will think the tool has broken. Have used it on KMC/SRAM/Shimano and a Gusset half link it makes no difference it is most excellent.