Scottish Bike Show Sportive 100miles

alan_a
alan_a Posts: 1,581
Chapeau to everyone involved in the organisation of today's Scottish Bike Show Sportive 100miler. It is an excellent addition to the Scottish sportive calendar.

Fast course on varied terrain, with a perfect mixture of narrow country roads and surprisingly not too busy A-roads. Hilly when you wanted it to be, flat and fast when your legs needed it to be. Two brutally steep climbs near the end to make sure you were totally gubbed for the finishing photos.

Only two negative points were:

1. the lack of free food at the finish... Food stops en route however were superbly stocked with good quality gels, peanut butter bars, bananas, soreen, jelly babies, blah blah blah

2. Last few miles on the Balloch cycle path. Avoiding pedestrians, dogs walkers and small kids on bikes was more dangerous than staying on the A82 to the roundabout.
http://app.strava.com/activities/6781508#

Comments

• Muffintop
    Muffintop Posts: 296
    We did the 65 miler - no count down at the end left the last 5 miles the longest in the world. And I think they perhaps didn't stock the 65 mile route with the same stuff the 100 milers got - we had Tunnocks Caramel wafers and pretzels.

I disagree with the use of the cycle path - yes there were people on it and it could have been better sign posted - but folk were quite conscientious and got out your way.
    FCN: Brompton: 12, Tourer: 7, Racer: 4

http://www.60milestonod.blogspot.com
  • djcozzer
    djcozzer Posts: 36
    A great day's cycling. Terrific weather if a little cold. Good job it wasn't raining or else some of those minor roads would have been a bit more hazardous. I did the 100k/65 mile route. Most people I spoke to after the event said it was great but for the last climb before Drymen up through the high wood. It was pretty horrible! Maybe think about coming back via the A81 next year? The feed station at Trossachs pier was depleted by the time I got there, just water and a few gels,fortunately I carry most of what I need with me . Still it was great, challenging climbs and descents and magnificent scenery. I suppose I'll have to come back next year and beat my time.
  • Plus points
    - excellent mixture of terrain by using main roads, back roads, bike paths.
    - great views which benefited from the clear sunny day we had.
    - good mixture of hill to flat riding

Minus points
    - the mixture of terrains caused one puncture.
    - no mile markers. never once knew how far it was to/from the start and when the next feed stop would be.
    - a right turn on a very busy road across traffic to enter the finish area.
    - the finish photographer took my picture as I wiped snot off my nose. It was not a pleasant sight.

I admit one of the minus points might only be relevant to me!
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,581
    Muffintop wrote:
    I disagree with the use of the cycle path - yes there were people on it and it could have been better sign posted - but folk were quite conscientious and got out your way.

I'd rather take my chances going with the traffic flow on the A82 than have a head on collision with a dog, small kids on bikes or worse still a novice cyclist weaving a kids trailer all over the road.

The cycle path on the west side of the loch is great for slow moving newbies but not seasoned cyclists on the last 5 miles of a 100miler.
  • Enjoyed it! I did think that some of the roads were shocking and the last climb was brutal!

Does anyone know where to find the event photographers website? Cheers
  • 65 mile route for me.

I thoroughly enjoyed what was a testing, hilly route quite early in the year. For an inaugural sportive, I thought the organisation was very good. Some of the road surfaces left a bit to be desired, but I remained puncture-free, and enjoyed the fact that many miles were almost traffic free. The scenery was breath-taking at times, and there was a good atmosphere throughout (helped by the lovely weather).

I thought the marshalling was of a high standard, and while the feed stations were a bit limited, this event was cheaper than many sportives, so I'm not complaining.

The closing routing of the 100 mile ride up the main drive of the park at a busy peak time for folk out for a stroll wasn't ideal, and this is something that they could look at changing next year. Otherwise, I was suitably impressed and will be back next year for certain.
  • Muffintop
    Alan A wrote:
    Muffintop wrote:

I'd rather take my chances going with the traffic flow on the A82 than have a head on collision with a dog, small kids on bikes or worse still a novice cyclist weaving a kids trailer all over the road.

The cycle path on the west side of the loch is great for slow moving newbies but not seasoned cyclists on the last 5 miles of a 100miler.

Seasoned cyclists not have the skills to navigate such a path or had they lost their ability to share somewhere along the route? I'm also quite sure some of the 65ers could move just as fast on the last 5 miles as any of the 100ers. Sounds a bit like Saddle W@nking to me. You obviously weren't moving fast enough along the other 95 miles :wink:

Mx

• Does anyone know where to find the event photographers website? Cheers

Pennine Events are providing this link : http://www.myfrozenphoto.com/default.aspx

But cant see anything there.

• Does anyone know where to find the event photographers website? Cheers

Pennine Events are providing this link : http://www.myfrozenphoto.com/default.aspx

But cant see anything there.

Posting photos tomorrow apparently.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    The Trossachs roads are some of the worst surfaces ive ever cycled on - You would think that it being a tourist place that they would tidy it up a bit....The climb up the dukes pass,Stronaclachar road i have cycled on these since i started 25 years ago and it`s the same rotten potholed surface. they have NEVER been fixed or resurfaced. it`s disgraceful for the councils to let them get into this state....and dont even get me started on the Blanefield to Glengoyne distillery road....you need a feckin 4x4 not 700x23 tyres !!! :evil:
  • Muffintop
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    The Trossachs roads are some of the worst surfaces ive ever cycled on - You would think that it being a tourist place that they would tidy it up a bit....The climb up the dukes pass,Stronaclachar road i have cycled on these since i started 25 years ago and it`s the same rotten potholed surface. they have NEVER been fixed or resurfaced. it`s disgraceful for the councils to let them get into this state....and dont even get me started on the Blanefield to Glengoyne distillery road....you need a feckin 4x4 not 700x23 tyres !!! :evil:

I'd like to think that councils are more likely to take care of their roads if big events like SBS Sportive are in their area. So if it becomes an annual thing, it's definately in their interests to improve the roads and a year of sorting them out would pay off overall.

Mx

• thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    Muffintop wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

I'd like to think that councils are more likely to take care of their roads if big events like SBS Sportive are in their area. So if it becomes an annual thing, it's definitely in their interests to improve the roads and a year of sorting them out would pay off overall.

Mx
    Dinae haud yer breath!!
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • Good to read the opinions seem to be mainly positive on this one. I had hoped to do the 100 miler myself but my training hasn't gone to plan for a number of reasons and this is a far earlier (in the year) sportive than I've done previously so I just didn't feel ready to do a route I wasn't familiar with.

I love the area though and regularly stay in Balloch with my girlfriend so I hope to maybe manage it next year.

It sounds as though it might be worth investing in some wider, puncture resistant tyres though even if it means a bit more rolling resistance. Agreed?

Focus Cayo Expert (road)
    Giant ATX 970 (full susp)
    Trek Alpha 4300 (hardtail)
    Peugeot 525 Comp (road - turbo trainer duties)
  • Muffintop
    Good to read the opinions seem to be mainly positive on this one. I had hoped to do the 100 miler myself but my training hasn't gone to plan for a number of reasons and this is a far earlier (in the year) sportive than I've done previously so I just didn't feel ready to do a route I wasn't familiar with.

I love the area though and regularly stay in Balloch with my girlfriend so I hope to maybe manage it next year.

It sounds as though it might be worth investing in some wider, puncture resistant tyres though even if it means a bit more rolling resistance. Agreed?

You could have probably managed the 65 miler as they were taking entrys on the day/morning. My smart @rse boyfriend managed it with virtually no training.

• Muffintop wrote:
    You could have probably managed the 65 miler as they were taking entries on the day/morning. My smart @rse boyfriend managed it with virtually no training.

Probably, but I had my heart set on the century and I would have been relying on trains there and back for a shorter outing so knocked the idea on the head for this year. Fingers crossed for 2013.

Focus Cayo Expert (road)
    Giant ATX 970 (full susp)
    Trek Alpha 4300 (hardtail)
    Peugeot 525 Comp (road - turbo trainer duties)