Non-spd riding shoes...

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
My 5 year old etnies are falling apart so I need something pretty desperately... But I don't have much cash.

I don't want 5:10's (which is good as they cost a fortune!).

Any deals out there at the mo?!

Comments

• RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    TK Maxx? I always seem to find cheap skate shoes in there
  • Yeah I've been a few times but not really found anything I like.

I'd love some am40 (or whatever the new ones are) but they're a bit dear :(
  • Why don't you want 5:10s?

AM41s are reduced to £60 in Evans atm. Depends what you mean when you say "not much cash"
  • specialeyes
    specialeyes Posts: 542
    Another pair of etnies then? Got my last 2 pairs of skate shoes from ebay, Fallen / Dvs 30 quid delivered which I think is reasonable. I use 5/10s for riding though.
  • RevellRider
    Yeah I've been a few times but not really found anything I like.

I know what you mean, it's a bit hit and miss if I'll find something I like. Last 2 times I've been I have been lucky to find some suitable and in a size 11
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Why would you not want five tens? There's not really a better shoe for riding...
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    AM41's £60 at Merlin with extra 10% off this weeken iirc. Used mine for the first time today, they're just ok. Tried Rollersnakes? They do tend to have some bargains if you care more about functionality than looks.
  • RevellRider
    ilovedirt wrote:
    Why would you not want five tens? There's not really a better shoe for riding...

The last pair of Vans I bought for riding cost me £25, have enough grip for the riding I do in flat pedals and have lasted 2 years. With that level of performance, why would I want a pair of Five Tens?
  • ilovedirt wrote:

The last pair of Vans I bought for riding cost me £25, have enough grip for the riding I do in flat pedals and have lasted 2 years. With that level of performance, why would I want a pair of Five Tens?

+1

I've had these etnies for about 5 years riding now... cost me £30. (From rollersnakes I think but I can't find anything really similar that takes my fancy for cheap enough).
    I've ridden them from XC to DH, every weekend, and never felt like I need more grip. Its as much to do with decent pedals as it is shoes!

Plus, I've tried on som 5:10's. I've also tried on cloggs. They felt very similar :lol:
    Wearing 5:10's is like walking around with buckets on your feet! They feel and look a bit potato.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    ilovedirt wrote:

+1

I've had these etnies for about 5 years riding now... cost me £30. (From rollersnakes I think but I can't find anything really similar that takes my fancy for cheap enough).
    I've ridden them from XC to DH, every weekend, and never felt like I need more grip. Its as much to do with decent pedals as it is shoes!

Plus, I've tried on som 5:10's. I've also tried on cloggs. They felt very similar :lol:
    Wearing 5:10's is like walking around with buckets on your feet! They feel and look a bit potato.

True but they offer loads more than just grip, my specials shoes have toe, heel and ankle protection loads more than a skate shoe which you would want if your feet out and down on corners type of rider.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    have you been to the vans outlet shop in bridgend mate? i picked a pair up there for £18 not that long ago, they're really cheap down there :D
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067

I beg to differ my good man...

79583.jpg

Look good (imo) and very un-clog like..and I'm married to Dutch lady :wink:
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    ...but the price they charge is indeed a bit of a joke
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • anj132
    anj132 Posts: 299
    welshkev wrote:
    have you been to the vans outlet shop in bridgend mate? i picked a pair up there for £18 not that long ago, they're really cheap down there :D

Yeah some good bargins there, I picked up my trail helemt there for £18 and some gloves at £4!!
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Some of the online BMX shops often have deals on shoes. try alansbmx, custom riders or winstanleys etc.

Agree with you about the 5 Tens, fucking awful shoes.
  • andymc06
    andymc06 Posts: 245
    styxd wrote:
    Agree with you about the 5 Tens, ******* awful shoes.

That consistently score top marks in reviews and group tests.......... :roll:
    If at first you don't succeed, spend some more money on kit!

Giant Trance X3 2011
  • styxd
    That consistently score top marks in reviews and group tests..........

Wonderful, you're one of the idiots who actually takes magazine reviews seriously?

Why not try them for yourself and form your own opinion.

If you have absolutely no technique or finesse then 5 Tens are ideal for keeping your feet stuck to the pedals. Thats all they do though, you cant feel anything through them, they're far to fat/heavy/chunky and are poor qulaity aswell (I'm refering to the Impact shoes here, I know theres some newer models out now, but Im not going to bother with them due to the cost)
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    edited April 2012
    styxd wrote:

Wonderful, you're one of the idiots who actually takes magazine reviews seriously?

If you have absolutely no technique or finesse then 5 Tens are ideal for keeping your feet stuck to the pedals. Thats all they do though, you cant feel anything through them, they're far to fat/heavy/chunky and are poor qulaity aswell (I'm refering to the Impact shoes here, I know theres some newer models out now, but Im not going to bother with them due to the cost)

The impacts are dh oriented and are therefore heavy and chunky. If you ride DH, they are probably very good. For trail riding, I agree that they are not.
    The freeriders, however, are cheaper and are much lighter than the impacts, and even AM41s. They offer ace grip and are great for trail riding. I think they look good and despite a dunking in a stream they havent fallen apart.
    I got my freeriders for £66 in the sale at swinnertons last year, making them a similar price to any other riding shoe.
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    styxd wrote:

No, he was just pointing out that they generally do well in reviews and group tests. That doesn't make him an idiot.

I've never tried them, but by a combination of reviews and what people who have them say I presume they offer lots of grip (does this make me an idiot?) and maybe are a bit clunky. I also know that they're a ridiculous price so I'll stick to the DCs I bought in the Classifieds!
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    whats your shoe size?
  • frazered
    frazered Posts: 333
    edited April 2012
    hows these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vans-106-SF-B ... 6d72c9dece

etnies, dc's, emerica etc all out theere

i use some older asics that are waterproof
  • styxd
    No, he was just pointing out that they generally do well in reviews and group tests. That doesn't make him an idiot.

I've never tried them, but by a combination of reviews and what people who have them say I presume they offer lots of grip (does this make me an idiot?) and maybe are a bit clunky. I also know that they're a ridiculous price so I'll stick to the DCs I bought in the Classifieds!

No, that makes you an intelligent chap for looking at all the pros and cons, and then making a sound economical choice!
  • andymc06
    andymc06 Posts: 245
    Thank-you EH_Rob

I don't appreciate being called an idiot for pointing out a fact. The Impact Low Two's DO consistently score top marks. These reviews are written by people who test products for a living and can compare multiple products side by side. I have not looked at one good review when quoting this. They score highly across the board and in fact I have yet to see a poor review from any professional source. I do not take everything written in magazines as gospel, however, I would rather take into account the opinion of a magazine reviewer than somebody with a short temper who spits out their dummy every time someone disagrees with them or questions their frankly ridiculous unsubstantiated comment.

I have owned a pair of Five Ten Impact Low 2 shoes for over a year and have ridden them in varying conditions. Yes they hold water and look less than trendy. However they offer excellent comfort, grip and protection. They have been hammered and are still in very good condition. All in all I have been very pleased with my purchase. If you don't want to spend the cash, skate shoes will do the job, to a point.
    If at first you don't succeed, spend some more money on kit!

Giant Trance X3 2011