Thieving gits!

greg66_tri_v2.0
greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
edited April 2012 in Commuting chat
Two weeks ago we toddled off on holiday. Because we had house sitters in, I moved the kids' bikes and Mrs 66’s bike out of the hall and into the shed.

We get back to find that while we were away but before the house sitters got there, some toerag(s) redistributed the wealth that was Mrs 66’s bike unto themselves. Cnuts, cnuts, cnuty cnuting cnuts, the lot of them. :evil:

Strangely they left the kids' Islabikes though. Perhaps they were disturbed...
Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
Bike 2-A

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    B*stards! Did any of the neighbours disturb them?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    Sorry to hear that. Ask around if anybody saw anything. Could be that the thieving phucktards assumed kids bikes are low in value. I really hope keen cyclists aren't stealing bikes.
    Worth keeping an eye on Fleabay, Gumtree, etc for Mrs66's bike. Mine turned up 6 weeks after it was nicked. Even if the value is low try to stop the tossers profiting from crime. Tell us about the bike and identifying features, you never know your luck one of us might spot something.
    Hope you had a good holiday at least.
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    what a coincidence

no skally 14 yr olds or the like knew you were going on holiday??

not that they knew the bikes were there, but raid the shed while your away.....
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,333
    You've checked your insurance cover? All good I hope.

Shrug it off, don't let it spoil your holiday and start a 'new bike' thread.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    All bike thieves should be condemned to die in a cellar full of rats

Have you posted a description of Mrs 66's bike ?
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    That's a total *rse Greg.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    estampida wrote:
    what a coincidence

no skally 14 yr olds or the like knew you were going on holiday??

not that they knew the bikes were there, but raid the shed while your away.....
    Yep, it'll be teenagers :roll: They're all the same :roll:
    Hope you get the bike back Greg. As said, keep an eye on eBay etc.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Couple questions:

Out of curisousity were your bikes OK? (Dont write where you keep them - to be on the safe side)

Nothing else was taken?

Seems a bit too specific to be opportunist, especially if nothing else was taken. Has anyone else on the road/in the immediate area been broken into? Could be Greg that someone local has spotted/targetted your bikes having seen them previously. Might have been expecting them to be in the shed when they broke in and when they weren't there they took your wife's bike assuming that one probably had the highest value.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Lazarus
    Lazarus Posts: 1,426
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Couple questions:

Out of curisousity were your bikes OK? (Dont write where you keep them - to be on the safe side)

Nothing else was taken?

Seems a bit too specific to be opportunist, especially if nothing else was taken

Had my Kuota Kharma and a mountain bike stolen two weeks ago and I was convinced they stole it to order because they walked past a Specialized Allez Comp but took the shitty mtb and nothing else ( tools galore ) :shock: unfortunately it's not until it happened to myself that i heard the scrotes were blitzing the area and breaking in everywhere and only taking bikes. It can feel very personal at the time but don't take it to heart.
    A punctured bicycle
    On a hillside desolate
    Will nature make a man of me yet ?
  • Mine are fine. They only ever stay in the house or in my room at work.

Our area is renowned for bike thefts from back gardens. The locals scrota know that there are rich pickings to be easily had. If you have a side passage it is pretty difficult to secure your back garden, and a shed is low security at best. Annoyingly, usually once we have them in the shed I lock them (Mrs 66’s and the kids') together, so that you can't get them out with either unlocking them or dismantling the shed. And then you have the problem of moving three bikes that are locked together.

However, this time I didn't think to. Brilliant, eh?

As I say, the weird thing is that they moved the kids' Islabikes out of the way and left them on the lawn to get to Mrs66’s.

It was, FWIW, a Trek FX7.5 WSD in a fetching powder blue. And made of pig iron, so I pity the poor chavling they offload it to.

Such is the *vital* need for Mrs 66 to have a bike to pootle around the neighbourhood that we toddled off to Halfords yesterday for a replacement, relying on a future insurance claim coming good. Which leads me onto "Halfords are Great!" shocka. A quick net search yesterday led to to a Boardman fi hybrid, so Halfords it was for sizing. They had a small made up, and let her have a quick test ride for sizing. Too small (I should point out that the Halfords lad's efforts at sizing tips were utterly dismissed by me, a semi-professional bike fitter across all bike disciplines :wink: ).

But then came the shocka: "we have a medium in stock, and if you wait 30 mins we will build it for you to try" :shock:

And they did. And they built it properly. And it fitted. So it seemed rude not to buy it.

And the best thing is that it is not made of pig iron.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    You went for the carbon one though yes ...?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Greg, sorry to hear about your local passing scrotae.

In your absence though, you should look at this: viewtopic.php?f=40012&t=12846099

Lest your lady wife should impale herself and feel the need to post pictures...
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770

In your absence though, you should look at this: viewtopic.php?f=40012&t=12846099

I thought you were posting a link to the injuries thread in the hope of getting some finer flesh on show. Sorry, shouldn't judge others by my own, rather low, standards.
    Does riding a Boardman hybrid make u do txt spk?
    Good luck with the insurance G66.
  • Greg, sorry to hear about your local passing scrotae.

Thanks. What a bizarre thread.

Have just tightened the collar bolts. Three were tight-as already. Will keep an eye on them over the next few weeks.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Greg66 wrote:

Thanks. What a bizarre thread.

Have just tightened the collar bolts. Three were tight-as already. Will keep an eye on them over the next few weeks.

No problem. Make sure you continue to screw tight. But feel free to hold the pictures...
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266

Cake Stop for your filth.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?